Rod Taylor recently passed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The iconic "rugged guy" of the 1960s, the forerunner of Mel Gibson and many other Australian stars, was 84.

He was considered to play James Bond, too, not long after his breakthrough role in "The Time Machine." My mother very much enjoyed his "Hong Kong" TV series around that same time.

In 1970 he was cast as Travis McGee, John D. MacDonald's "boat bum" adventurer (Deep Blue Goodby, Nightmare in Pink, and about 20 others) for a film version of Darker Than Amber. Robert Culp, late of "I Spy," tested, but MacDonald thought he was horrible and that Taylor was the best of a poor lot. (I glanced at the film on YouTube this morning, and it looks kind of cheap. But Taylor is excellent as always.)

He did a TV Series called "Bearcats!" in 1971 or so, in which he played one of a pair of adventurers-for-hire in the West of 1913 or so. It lasted only a half season, I think, but I enjoyed it, and Taylor was a perfect choice in his role. We just don't have many actors, if any, with his kind of screen presence nowadays.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I just watched him in The Time Machine a few days ago on TCM. Always a good one to watch.

One of my favorite first time sci-fi movies. So much so, that I had to hunt down the DVD when it became available. We have lost lots of good ones in the last few years. RIP Rod Taylor and thanks for the memories!

I just watched him in The Time Machine a few days ago on TCM.
Always a good one to watch.

One of my all time fave movies!! Rod is awesome!! RIP
frown.gif

His best role was in the 1964 movie, Fate is the Hunter.

The opening seen as seen from the air by passing airliners during filming caused quite a stir at LAX and caused flights to be rerouted even though all the permits and permissions were in place and everyone was notified ahead of time.

Taylor said this was his favorite role and favorite film.

Full movie on YouTube

If you like Rod Taylor as an actor you might want to see this film. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

^^^ I'll need to take a look. Not sure if I've seen that one.

He sure seemed like a decent fella from what I knew about him. A real gentleman and a professional. He carried himself humbly...and with class.

Not many more in films these days that are comparable in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

The opening seen as seen from the air by passing airliners during filming caused quite a stir at LAX and caused flights to be rerouted even though all the permits and permissions were in place and everyone was notified ahead of time.

Full movie on YouTube

If you like Rod Taylor as an actor you might want to see this film. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I may have seen this one years ago -- with Glenn Ford, right? Based on an Ernest K. Gann novel?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I may have seen this one years ago -- with Glenn Ford, right? Based on an Ernest K. Gann novel?

Gann was so thrilled with the movie based on his book that he had his name removed from the credits and that he gave up the claim on any profit made.

hotwheels

Taylor also played the lead in the all-star production of "Hotel," based on an Arthur Hailey novel (the guy who wrote Airport and thus gave rise to all the disaster flicks of the '70s). "Hotel" was set, and filmed, here in NO. It came out in, I think, '65, and so Taylor and his co-stars must have been in town during '63 or '64, when I was a kid.

As it happens, he's the model for a character of mine, a young professor of ancient history who is often forced to turn detective. Picture the burly but clean-cut Taylor lecturing about Hannibal to a class of freshmen and sophomores, something like Prof. Henry "Indiana" Jones in the early scene of "Raiders," but translated to today.

I don't think Taylor would have anything to be ashamed of in his body of work. Certainly he comes off well in "Young Cassidy," the film andyd mentioned. He always seemed a gentleman in his off-screen life, too.

R.I.P., Mr. Taylor; I'm sure that when I get to the Happy Hunting Grounds and look you up, you'll have some interesting stories to tell.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Full movie on YouTube

That was one of my favorite books as a kid. I had no idea it had ever been made into a movie.

RIP, Rod.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I just watched him in The Time Machine a few days ago on TCM.
Always a good one to watch.

One of my all time fave movies!! Rod is awesome!! RIP
frown.gif

Yes, and I also liked Yvette (Mimieux)
20.gif
in that flick, and FULLY understood why he went back for her (and yes, for human civilization in general as well), despite my early years when first seeing that classic.

I remember this movie making me think, and contemplate about, time travel, at a very young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back