Road Rage incident from 2 yrs ago - court actions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was the truck driver the instigator; if he's doing the speed limit in the left lane and passing the big rig, he's well within his rights. It was dumb [censored] Camaro dude who tried cutting him off.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
How was the truck driver the instigator; if he's doing the speed limit in the left lane and passing the big rig, he's well within his rights. It was dumb [censored] Camaro dude who tried cutting him off.
21.gif

Look at the video more closely. The truckster starts by brake checking the guy right at the start of the altercation. I think he does it twice. There's a car immediately in front of the truck (2 car lengths?) at the start of the altercation. By the time of the accident 3 miles later, you can't even see that car anymore. They must be 1/4-1/2 mile or more ahead. Ridiculous. Had the truck driver brake checked the guy, then quickly pulled ahead of the truck to move to the right lane, that would have been fine. But they held steady with the truck for the next 3 miles. That's impeding the flow of normal traffic. The video hangs the guy.

It's illegal in NY State to stay in the left lane except to pass. That trucker wasn't doing that at all. They started out by doing 65 mph then dropped to 55-60 mph during the altercation. There are mile markers in that video so you can estimate speed. Even when climbing that 1-2 mile grade the truckster just maintained speed with the big rig. The average speed during this incident is 60 mph or less. I don't call that trying to pass or getting out of the left lane as soon as you reasonably can. The guy was violating the law, intentionally....or they owned a truck with only 1-2 working gears and a damaged throttle. If he couldn't pass that rig, he should have slowed further after putting on the flashers and pulled over to the right lane as soon as the big rig was clear...15-20 seconds at most. There's no doubt the truckster was metering out their own justice, not following NYS traffic laws. If I were the insurance carrier, I'd have dropped this road rager in an instant. The Camaro guy was just a drunk. I wonder how many more road rage incidents this truckster will be involved with down the road?

That video also shows the trucker driving in the left lane for the first mile before the altercation with plenty of space ahead of them. What's wrong with the right lane as the big rig wasn't that close yet. It would appear they like to hog the left lane and not be inconvenienced by shifting lanes as traffic allows. So before the altercation the trucker is a left lane driver passing vehicles at 65+ mph. Then they become a left lane hog and not pass any one for 3 miles as they drive under 60 mph at times, applying brakes as needed or coming off the accelerator.

It's also the case that the truckster is following too close to the car ahead of them, leaving at most 2 car lengths. This isn't NASCAR where drafting and rubbing are positives. If that Camaro didn't show up, I wonder how long that trucker would have put up with the guy ahead not getting out of the way quickly enough as they passed those 2 semi's? Fate deals a bad hand as they allow Mr. Camaro and Mr. Truckster to meet up. Why couldn't truckster just back off when the Camaro pulled up? Yeah, Camaro was a jerk to try that. Look at that truck lose control for a second or two as they try to regain control after cutting off the Camaro. I have to think that if necessary to cut off the Camaro at the start of the incident, that truck would have used up all of the pavement to their left left, if not the median to ensure they had the "upper hand." This is all approved NY State DMV procedures?

The only driver who I feel sorry for in the whole deal is the Semi-Truck driver. He's just doing his job.

The pickup truck driver needs to realize he is not the police and it is not his job to keep others speed and driving in check. Find a driver driving like a moron, call 911. Here they do keep records of calls that can be used in determining patterns if they don't catch him the first time.

The car driver, well, driving without a license and drunk... He made his own bed. Too bad it affected others.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
21.gif

Look at the video more closely. The truckster starts by brake checking the guy right at the start of the altercation. I think he does it twice. There's a car immediately in front of the truck (2 car lengths?) at the start of the altercation. By the time of the accident 3 miles later, you can't even see that car anymore. They must be 1/4-1/2 mile or more ahead. Ridiculous. Had the truck driver brake checked the guy, then quickly pulled ahead of the truck to move to the right lane, that would have been fine. But they held steady with the truck for the next 3 miles. That's impeding the flow of normal traffic. The video hangs the guy.

It's illegal in NY State to stay in the left lane except to pass. That trucker wasn't doing that at all. They started out by doing 65 mph then dropped to 55-60 mph during the altercation. There are mile markers in that video so you can estimate speed. Even when climbing that 1-2 mile grade the truckster just maintained speed with the big rig. The average speed during this incident is 60 mph or less. I don't call that trying to pass or getting out of the left lane as soon as you reasonably can. The guy was violating the law, intentionally....or they owned a truck with only 1-2 working gears and a damaged throttle. If he couldn't pass that rig, he should have slowed further after putting on the flashers and pulled over to the right lane as soon as the big rig was clear...15-20 seconds at most. There's no doubt the truckster was metering out their own justice, not following NYS traffic laws. If I were the insurance carrier, I'd have dropped this road rager in an instant. The Camaro guy was just a drunk. I wonder how many more road rage incidents this truckster will be involved with down the road?

That video also shows the trucker driving in the left lane for the first mile before the altercation with plenty of space ahead of them. What's wrong with the right lane as the big rig wasn't that close yet. It would appear they like to hog the left lane and not be inconvenienced by shifting lanes as traffic allows. So before the altercation the trucker is a left lane driver passing vehicles at 65+ mph. Then they become a left lane hog and not pass any one for 3 miles as they drive under 60 mph at times, applying brakes as needed or coming off the accelerator.

This.

The pickup driver is just a plain and simple [censored]-clown creeper violating the law by creeping in the left hand land,which is illegal here in Tx and will get you an instant ticket. Left lane highway creepers are nothing more than traffic hazards and an accident waiting to happen.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why didn't that left lane creeper douche bag in the truck just simply obey the law and move over to the right lane to let the camaro douche bag (who deserved to wreck out,but only hurt himself and no one else for doing a dumb [censored] stunt by passing in the shoulder) speed by? I'm hoping the left lane creeper got ticketed for driving slow in the left lane. Imo,they're both at fault,both doing two different stupid things,and both breaking different laws.

I agree....While the Camaro driver is totally in the WRONG, the j/o in the truck has some fault in this too.

They are both in the wrong and got what was coming to them.

Last edited:
Poor driving all the way around. Unfortunately most drivers fall into that category. The only one off my [censored] list is the transport driver and the little blue car earlier in the video.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

They are both in the wrong and got what was coming to them.

Agreed. I think the truckster will think twice the next time they try to "even" a score on the highway. Maybe next time they run into a psycho with a gun rather than just a drunk driver.

A friend of mine just went through a harrowing experience with a road rager biker this past week. This was a [censored]'s Angels type on Harley riding on the center line between 2 lanes in SoCal. My friend didn't like this set up for fear he might hit the biker or the biker might run into him. He guns the car off the line at the next stop light just to get away. The Harley guy is not paying attention and is left way behind. But then wakes up and runs him down at full throttle....loudest bike he claims he ever heard. From there, biker gets ahead of him and stops that line of traffic dead. Gets off his bike to start a confrontation/challenge. Arms waving, profanity, etc. My friend takes off again to get away. Again, the biker runs him down, gets in front of him, and stops him dead in the road with all other traffic backing up.

All this to teach what lesson? Getting away from me too fast is "disrespectful" when I'm riding the center line? I own the center line so don't mess with it? My friend made it clear he never spoke to the guy, made any motions with head or arms to escalate things. Didn't even make eye contact. For all we know....that only incensed the guy more. A good example that you could be confronting death or serious injury if you take the Rager on. That's what this Truck/Camaro turned into. All 4 drivers had their odds of dying go up 10 fold for several seconds. It could be worse. You might inflict serious injury to the "guilty" guy and end up paying their medical costs for the rest of your life. Anything can happen....even in court. $#!& happens.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Back to the original video...

I think:
The 18-wheeler was a jerk for not slowing down, I bet he was laughing the whole time...
The pickup driver needs to get a ticket for being an a-hole...
And of course the Camaro driver needs to get his license taken away...

Agreed. The pick-up truck should have set aside his pride and let the Camaro jet off to crash with someone else instead.

I'm surprised the semi allowed himself to be used for petty revenge block.

Hopefully each of them was faulted for the parts they played (of which I think the semi carried little/no fault)

The pickup truck and Camaro drivers are equally at fault in my book... Left-lane speed "enforcers" really irritate me. I find lane discipline to be generally poor amongst drivers. I don't know if it just isn't being taught to new drivers, but I know it isn't enforced for the most part. Too many drivers are zombified anyway, not even paying attention to what's around them. To others its definitely a me, me, me thing.

Move over, let the guy pass and go back into the left-lane if you choose. I do it all the time, even if I'm doing well over the speed limit.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Back to the original video...

I think:
The 18-wheeler was a jerk for not slowing down, I bet he was laughing the whole time...
The pickup driver needs to get a ticket for being an a-hole...
And of course the Camaro driver needs to get his license taken away...

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Sort of like two tractors may be governed and unable to pass at a reasonable speed. What if the pickup was governed?

Either party could have slowed. It was ridiculous that nobody yielded. So in the end they all got what they deserved, imo. Driving defensively is everyones' responsibility. Id say 5% fault to the tractor trailer, 15% to the pickup, 80% to the Camaro, plus additional points due to illegal actions.

I don't give much if any blame to the semi driver. Looks like the truck driver was going the speed limit, possibly on cruise control. Any minor speed changes by the truck driver could easily have been countered by the pickup driver. Driving is how the truck driver makes a living. Slowing down the delivery or stopping delivery because of an accident will only affect their paycheck. I'm sure the truck driver understands this.

I don't feel bad for the Camaro or the pickup driver. They both seem to share a low IQ.

Agree - the semi truck driver shouldn't get blame here. His job is delivering goods from A to B on time. From the looks of it, he's not the one speeding up or slowing down and he's in the correct lane to let faster traffic pass. Matches the way I like to drive - I do my thing, stay in the slower lane unless I'm passing, and get on with my life.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Camaro dude almost ran the truck of the road when he tried to merge into him. ...

I noticed this as well.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Camaro dude almost ran the truck of the road when he tried to merge into him. ...

I noticed this as well.

Looks to me like the truck pulled far left and sped up to keep ahead of the Camaro....far from being run off the road. The truck lost control of their vehicle for a split second AFTER they sped up to cut back in ahead. This wasn't about maximizing safety or not getting hit. It was about retaining the upper hand so the Camaro couldn't get by.

For a 0.19 BAL the Camaro guy almost pulled off cutting into a spot only 1-1/2 car lengths wide at the start of the video. The truck swerved and sped up to ensure that didn't happen.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Agree - the semi truck driver shouldn't get blame here. His job is delivering goods from A to B on time. From the looks of it, he's not the one speeding up or slowing down and he's in the correct lane to let faster traffic pass. Matches the way I like to drive - I do my thing, stay in the slower lane unless I'm passing, and get on with my life.

I agree. And If he did slow down, so would the pick up truck...

"The Camaro guy was just a drunk."

LOL, is that all. In the beginning, he just about ran the truck off the road, and in the end, that's exactly what he ended up doing, along with the poor truck driver in the right lane.

"I wonder how many more road rage incidents this truckster will be involved with down the road?"

LOL, I wonder how many more road rage incidents the Camaro guy will be involved with down the road. It amazes me that some people are defending the driver of the Camaro.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
The only driver who I feel sorry for in the whole deal is the Semi-Truck driver. He's just doing his job.

The pickup truck driver needs to realize he is not the police and it is not his job to keep others speed and driving in check. Find a driver driving like a moron, call 911. Here they do keep records of calls that can be used in determining patterns if they don't catch him the first time.

The car driver, well, driving without a license and drunk... He made his own bed. Too bad it affected others.

Exactly this. The pickup driver was being a control freak and obviously the drunk didn't mix well with that. I blame them all besides the semi, if the other one hadn't done what they did, the accident wouldn't have happened. If the truck had just sped up and gotten in front of the semi to let the Camaro pass, no issue. If the Camaro driver had just given up and stayed behind instead passing on the shoulder, nothing would've happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back