RLI Biosyn 5W40, Audi RS4 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: saaber1
What is the stratified fuel injection and how does that differ from the US models?

AFAIK, it's basically a way to shape the injector pulse so that the AFR is locally richer around the spark plug and leaner toward the edges of the combustion chamber. This is a way to have an overall AFR that is relatively very lean, with less risk of knock. It's not used on the American models for the reasons just discussed.

So far the widely touted (on this site anyway) method to deal with the the issue is to use biosyn oils. I have also heard the another option is to use a high HTHS oil. What do you think the best solution is for us models?

Again, AFAIK: High HTHS is good, because it's thicker and usually less volatile. Apparently RLI's stuff is even better because it has those benefits plus some other neat things about its chemistry that resist fuel dilution in other ways.

Would you expect to see similar fuel dilution issues in the VAG 2.0T FSI? I am 1000 miles away from the second oil change (~20k miles on unit, ~10k miles on oil) and had to add 4 catch-up quarts of Castrol 5w-40 at 2k mile intervals between 10k and 20k miles. I'm thinking it might be a problem with fuel contamination that's causing the oil to cook off.

Also, apparently VAG doesn't think it's a problem unless it's burning 1qt every 1k miles.

Originally Posted By: majesticj
Would you expect to see similar fuel dilution issues in the VAG 2.0T FSI? I am 1000 miles away from the second oil change (~20k miles on unit, ~10k miles on oil) and had to add 4 catch-up quarts of Castrol 5w-40 at 2k mile intervals between 10k and 20k miles. I'm thinking it might be a problem with fuel contamination that's causing the oil to cook off.

Also, apparently VAG doesn't think it's a problem unless it's burning 1qt every 1k miles.

We certainly have seen fuel dilution on many UOAs on the 2.0FSI and it may be a huge factor in your oil burning IMO, but I would also say we need to temper the hype a bit as some of the UOAs don't look all that bad in terms of fuel dilution.

Having said that though, I personally think 10k is too long for this motor for the following reasons:

1) Potential fuel dilution
2) Potential for PCV system derived valve deposits
3) High pressure fuel pump follower/cam wear
4) Turbo

I am going with a high HTHS oil (4.6cP) and changing every 5000, but no UOAs yet.

You may want to try a different oil to see if your consumption changes such as M1 0w40 or lubro moly 5W40 for vw approved or biosyn 5W40, redline 5W40, amsoil 5W40 for not approved (I think somewhere TeeDubb also suggested Amsoil marine oil in this engine due to ability to deal with fuel dilution).

I personally would love to see some lubro moly 5W40 5000 mile UOAs (because there are not that many on BITOG) so that is my selfish recommendation ha ha. Or maybe castrol edge 0W40 (claims vw approval) if it exists in the US.

You may want to try a different oil to see if your consumption changes such as M1 0w40 or lubro moly 5W40 for vw approved or biosyn 5W40, redline 5W40, amsoil 5W40 for not approved (I think somewhere TeeDubb also suggested Amsoil marine oil in this engine due to ability to deal with fuel dilution).

I personally would love to see some lubro moly 5W40 5000 mile UOAs (because there are not that many on BITOG) so that is my selfish recommendation ha ha. Or maybe castrol edge 0W40 (claims vw approval) if it exists in the US.

Ehh these all seem to be relatively the same price, I see no reason not to jump on the RLI bandwagon. Not too worried about the condition of the engine right now, but I'll send a sample off for Dyson analysis just to be safe.

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
I am running Lubromoly 5w40 in my 01 Saab 9-3 SE and will have a UOA in about 2 months for ya :)

Cool! Have heard good things about this oil and can't wait to see how it did in your Saab!

This winter I used an oil pan heater for almost all initial cold start ups and also used a large filter magnet. I am curious to see how this oil has held up and if the oil pan heater/magnet made any difference. I only think I am going to run this oil 6-7500km as we had a particularly cold winter this year and don't want to much fuel in the oil.

Rl_RS4,

I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) that the fuel dilution issue in DI was more of a North American problem than a European issue.... That the same DI engines are run with a stratified mixture that is lower fuel/air ratio at the bottom of the cylinder and higher near the plug - thus lessening the dilution due to fuel getting past the rings. In NA, due to higher sulphur content in the gas, they have to run the engines at uniform fuel/air mix throught the intake cycle for emissions reasons - thus exacerbating the problem.

So are we dealing with an issue that is NA/USA based, or are the UOA's from these engines run in europe showing the same problems?

Well, I'm sending off a sample to Terry from a Euro B7 RS4 for UOA tomorrow having run it exclusively on Titan Fuchs 5w-30 since new.

I've done ~5K miles on the oil since the last change so we'll see...

I look forward to seeing the results when they return. With your permission we'll add them to the RS4 data base.

RI_RS4

Just changed to RLI 5W-40 on my 2008 RS4 with 750 miles. What is your recommended OCI? I am also using their gas additive and Chevron Premium 93 octane mostly. Can I contribute oil samples for analysis along the way? Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back