RLI 5w-30 12,900 miles '07 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This a follow-up to my first post, Factory fill, Honda Fit, first oil change.

Our Fit has 17,700 miles on it and this fill has 12,900 miles. I'll probably go ahead and change it at 15,000 (oil miles).

fit_17k.jpg

Wow, that definitely isn't bad considering how long it was run. Still breaking in as well. Looks good to my untrained eye, all things considered.

Thanks! I was happy with the results.
cool.gif

Looking for opinions on the TBN. How long would you guys run this oil?

Hi,
DaveB - Yes the viscosity is low - but it is better than having it increase a similar amount

Running with a TBN 1.9 may be problematical in a low use engine. It is generally accepted that in the event of no TAN being taken, a TBN of around 50% of the virgin product is the desirable
condemnation point. If it was my vehicle I would change the lubricant now if the TBN is less than 40% of new

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DmanWho
Speaking of the viscosity... Is this the RLI 5w-20 or 5w-30?

Oh man, good catch. I need to revise my original post. It is 5w-20. I was too tired when I wrote the post.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
DaveB,

Please fill in the relevant variables and tell me what you get:
(don't be concerned that the units don't cancel)

Projected OCI = (C*)(mpg)(sump-qts)(Cubic Inches/Hp)

where C* = 120 for this particular formulation

BTW, the Amsoil EAO oil filter is doing a tremendous job here, but this oil really should be changed, given these test parameters.

Did a quick Google of the relevant specs for this motor:

Projected OCI = (120)(31)(4.4)(93/109)

Projected OCI = 13,900 miles - see how easy that is? :)

Originally Posted By: TeeDub
Did a quick Google of the relevant specs for this motor:

Projected OCI = (120)(31)(4.4)(93/109)

Projected OCI = 13,900 miles - see how easy that is? :)

Actually, I get 35mpg commuting and 40mpg highway. Does that change things?
55.gif

Yes, it means this particular formulation isn't as good as I thought in terms of extended drain capability and you should use a lower C* value....

In the past, I've used these C* values:

Average Petroleum oil, C* of 50
Off the shelf, Group III "synthetic", C* of 90
High TBN, PAO/Ester synthetic (Amsoil, Mobil 1/EP, Best Euro Synthetics), C* of 120

A C* of 90 may be more realistic for the RLI formulations - I simply haven't evaluated enough OCI's on them to make a considered judgement.

OCI = (90)(37.5)(4.4)(93/109)
OCI = 12,670 miles

I'd like to see more data, but a C* of 90 looks more realistic for the RLI stuff...

What type of driving has the Fit been seeing?

Also, how much make-up oil did you use during this OCI, and what is the Fit's sump capacity?

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
What type of driving has the Fit been seeing?

Also, how much make-up oil did you use during this OCI, and what is the Fit's sump capacity?

My driving is 75% highway commuting miles and 25% around town errands & stuff. I put in .3 quarts make up oil. I believe the Fits oil capacity (including filter) is 4.4 quarts.

I get 35mpg or better commuting and 39mpg highway; I don't drive aggressively.

Very nice. Your next UOA with RLI should be better. RLI chemistry usually takes 2 oil changes to clean out all of the original oil

I wish Blackstone would make a point of stating how many miles the universal average is based on. Otherwise, it's pretty meaningless.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Very nice. Your next UOA with RLI should be better. RLI chemistry usually takes 2 oil changes to clean out all of the original oil

I wish Blackstone would make a point of stating how many miles the universal average is based on. Otherwise, it's pretty meaningless.

There's not much to clean out. The last oil in there was the factory fill.
wink.gif

Yes, and the factory fill has a totally different chemistry. Your 1st oil change does not remove that chemistry entirely. As a result, the new chemistry has to work harder. Thus, on the next oil change, when all of the residual from the factory oil is removed, and the engine internals have been coated with the new chemistry, the oil will normally show even better results.

Even with it being mostly hwy miles, I am very surprised at how little make up oil you used. (I don't know how I initially missed that info on the report)... Impressed with both the RLI and your Fit.

Your UOA has given me the confidence to go with my original plan of a 7,000 mile RLI run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back