RIP IOM TT rider Adam Lyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Originally Posted By: Cujet
On the other hand, when the risk of dying "per race" is high, it's just not worth it.

At what point do the risks become worth it ?

See my post above.

You can't do a traditional cost benefit risk analysis...you have to factor in your personal wants and justify it on those.

I disagree somewhat. All of us assume known and inherently understood risks on a daily basis while operating a vehicle on the roadways. Traffic engineers often use the 85th percentile (The 85th Percentile Speed is the speed that 85 percent of vehicles do not exceed) as a basis for safety. The reason is that the 85th percentile has proven to be acceptably safe. This is often referred to as the "rational speed limit". It comes naturally to most of us (not my wife though, who is in the upper part of the 15% group)

In fact, in heavy interstate traffic (over the road's capacity) , we willingly bunch up to ensure traffic flow. Following closer than we otherwise would. We accept the additional risk of high speed group travel, as an alternative to a traffic jam. We don't think about it much, but we do it regularly.

We do understand risk and reward, quite well. As for expenses and wants, those can be considered too, we are capable of that and I believe we can rationalize it. Many of us reject the "safety first" mantra. We replace it with acceptable risk.

Last edited:
But there's a need to get to work, and a need to get into that plane for a visit/meeting.

The context was in this particular race, and the comment that "at what point are the risks worth it ?"

not getting to work.

Taleb uses the russian roulette example...what to you is the acceptable upside (dollars wise) for pulling the trigger ?
Can't use a beancounter model to evaluate that one.

On the other hand, if pulling the trigger in a game of Russian roulette saved my wife and kids from dying at the hands of an evil villain, or racing through the streets of IOM to warn of a marching army, the risk is entirely rational.

I suppose there are some who do a bit of a cost benefit analysis with respect to IOM, and those are in the business of racing. IOM is no longer part of the MotoGP calendar for a reason, and I gather that any current top MotoGP rider who went to the team boss and told him he was going to IOM would probably be told very quickly and very firmly that it's not going to happen.

But, for others who have the skill and lack a MotoGP seat, the can run the calculation differently.

Everyone who races the TT knows the risks, and not one of them were forced to race. Not for any one of us to judge.

It's called the "Deadliest Race" in the world for a reason, averaging over 2 deaths per year in its' 111 year history.

Ask the islanders, and they'll categorically tell you they love the event. It is a significant contributor to the islands' economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back