Ring is coming out with a dash cam

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Interesting to see Ring come out with a dashcam. LTE service (subscription cost TBD), remote viewing inside and out along with voice activation.

Car Cam -
Car Cam -

Last edited:
Great idea for Amazon so they can track you wherever, then feed you targeted ads. Or better yet, they can sell your 'anonymized' location and 1000 advertisers can feed you targeted ads. Read the EULA agreement and I'll promise you it says in obfuscated legaleze that they can do this.

Have (2) Ring Spotlight Cams and (1) supposedly upgraded 2nd generation doorbell for several years now. Ring's software keeps getting worse and worser. If phone alerts and you can't answer immediately then you can't see the video until after the recording is made and a minute or two for processing. Couple months ago the app or website would tell you the event is there but "not available". Now they have "upgraded" the server software so that there is no mention of the event until after the video is viewable. I have the separate indoor chime which sounds off, but I can't see what device has motion for several minutes.

New house will not have Ring.

Have (2) Ring Spotlight Cams and (1) supposedly upgraded 2nd generation doorbell for several years now. Ring's software keeps getting worse and worser. If phone alerts and you can't answer immediately then you can't see the video until after the recording is made and a minute or two for processing. Couple months ago the app or website would tell you the event is there but "not available". Now they have "upgraded" the server software so that there is no mention of the event until after the video is viewable. I have the separate indoor chime which sounds off, but I can't see what device has motion for several minutes.

New house will not have Ring.
My biggest gripe was it only recorded when it detected motion, and it wasn’t always good at that. Sometimes it would catch a whopping 3 seconds of someone walking to our front door, and other times it would pick up on something outside the detection zone I set and record 5 minutes of a cat rolling around the driveway 🙄

I have a Ring Spotlight Camera out in front of our house, on the soffit of a shed where it will catch what is coming down the driveway.

I have noticed over the last several months that the catch can be hit or miss, sometimes it's good, other times it's the tail end of the Amazon/UPS truck/etc.

Tuesday night there were two deer coming across in front of it, it picked them up late in the game and then froze the screen after 12-15 seconds and then went black for 2 minutes.

Yes, spiders, stuff blowing around in storms and wild rain set it off and it's annoying. You'd think those software programmers could eliminate that by now.

I really liked the Ring cameras (spotlight cameras) when they came out. Easy to install, connect to wifi, various means of powering them, all simple, easy and nearly anyone could do it. Good service out of them, clear picture, etc.

Seems like all of that has gone downhill and the quality of service is in the garbage. These things aren't cheap, I have $500 in two cameras and a solar panel, plus $60? a year in storage fees.

No more than your handy dandy phone. ;)
Yes, but your handy dandy phone will not record a video of you and your occupants while driving. There are already leaked photos of girls using the toilet or changing, captured by robot vacuums.

I don’t see leaked photos captured by smartphones without their owners knowing it. That’s not to say it cannot happen, but there are obviously some safeguards in place when it comes to smartphones, that do not exist in smart appliances or devices.

Seems like all of that has gone downhill and the quality of service is in the garbage. These things aren't cheap, I have $500 in two cameras and a solar panel, plus $60? a year in storage fees.
That too! My lorex NVR records 24/7 at 4K 15fps and stores it all locally and has no requirement to be online. The app is free as is accessing it to view any events it captured or view the previous 19 days worth of footage (2 cameras, h.265 high quality encoding). The only downside is they are power over Ethernet cameras so you have to run an Ethernet cable to each camera.

Great idea for Amazon so they can track you wherever, then feed you targeted ads. Or better yet, they can sell your 'anonymized' location and 1000 advertisers can feed you targeted ads. Read the EULA agreement and I'll promise you it says in obfuscated legaleze that they can do this.
Don’t forget they’ll happily send all your video feed to law enforcement without requiring a warrant… seems like a great way to support tickets-by-Mail for a small cut of the profits the PDs collect.

Cam quality seems pretty good but placement just above the dash is trash. Wouldn't buy one either because as much as I love using Amazon to shop online, I don't trust them to not track me.

My biggest gripe was it only recorded when it detected motion, and it wasn’t always good at that. Sometimes it would catch a whopping 3 seconds of someone walking to our front door, and other times it would pick up on something outside the detection zone I set and record 5 minutes of a cat rolling around the driveway 🙄
But you got to watch 5 minutes of a cat rolling around on your driveway!

Back