Rethinking idea that Fram Ultra is the best filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Thanks. These are the results one would expect to see.

From what I can see, although I don't have all the information, so you can clarify here as necessary, it differs from what I'm exploring in two respects.

Firstly, the differences in filter ratings in the SAE test are significant vs me looking at Amsoil vs M1 with a view to switching from Fram Ultra to Toughguard.

Secondly, I'm talking about the time taken until the ISO ratings lead to better cleanliness code and how that differs between a high capacity full synthetic filter and a lower capacity cellulose blend filter. Did the bus study provide any particle counts at different mileages? Not suggesting that a hugely lower efficiency filter is going to better but that a similarly efficient filter may be better sooner if it has less capacity.

First of all, I do appreciate what you're trying to do here. If nothing else, it makes people think and it also focuses on the importance of how tests are ran and/or how data is collected to come to some kind of conclusion.

There are people on this board that will tear someone to pieces if there is one hole in the process. If you ever read that long thread about Rat's testing (using a "rig" he put together himself) on ranking the effectiveness of motor oils on engine wear, some people will believe the gist of his results, and some people will tear it to shreds ... even claiming that it's all invalid because of the number of significant figures he used in his testing and results.

Anyway, if you look at the Bus Study graph data I posted above, you can obviously see a noticeable difference in oil particle cleanliness when comparing a very efficient filter to a very inefficient filter. When you start comparing filters that are very close in efficiency to each other, then the difference in results will be somewhat in the "noise" level, and there probably won't be a very clear correlation, or even any correlation.

I think that's what you're doing with comparing various ISO cleanliness code results between different high efficiency filters that rate very close to each other and were all ran on different engines using different oil and ran under different driving conditions. When the control of those factors is super loose, then so are the correlations, or no correlation can be concluded at all. But it is interesting to discuss for sure.

I still always fall back on using ISO 4548-12 as my comparison standard to rating oil filter efficiency. From what I've seen (ie, Bus Study) if a filter tested more efficient in the lab then it's also most likely going to be the more efficient filter in real use if all other variables are held constant.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What do you do in the absence of data that is pertinent to your decision criteria?

Well you certainly don't then go forward and try to draw a conclusion based on imagined data.

I worked as a research technologist for a number of years out of college and my job was to design and implement tests that would result in statistically valid data when analyzed by the PhD mathematicians on our staff. I then had to present my results to the entire research group on our Friday seminars and be open to criticism and discussion. So maybe that experience has me living a bit far on the "what is actual valid data" side of things, but I just don't see any of what you've proposed can ever be considered as statistically valid data. In fact there's little to nothing ever posted on this site that meets that criteria, at least in terms of tests that individuals perform on isolated vehicles with little to no isolation of the variables. None of these tests even has a control variable, so what on earth can you compare it against? People often say we need "real-world tests" but the dark reality is that in most instances there is no such thing as real-world tests. It is exceedingly difficult to gather valid data from numerous disparate results with no controls on the process. Nearly always the only place that statistically valid data can be collected and turned into meaningful conclusions is the laboratory. There, all significant variables can be isolated and the results can be mathematically analyzed for validity.

People don't like to hear that but as of yet no one has convinced me otherwise.

I agree with everything you just said except at the end of the day, you still have to make a choice.

Somebody who is being completely rational about it may just pick the cheapest filter. But my knowledge seeking was to figure out what does the best job in terms of keeping the oil clean (without going to bypass filtering) as that might make a difference in some way either with how far I run the oil or any performance implications of longer oil changes.

It actually looks like the easiest and most relatively effective thing I could do is put my spare neodymium magnets on the filter.

In retrospect, the title of this thread should have been:

"Rethinking idea that Fram Ultra is the best filter for me"

Sorry for any distress caused by that omission.

^^^ Don't worry about it. Some people care about efficiency ... some don't. Ones who don't care about efficiency and how it relates to engine wear despise technical talk like this just throw in some troll comment instead of contributing to the technical discussion, as you can see in this thread.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I like OE because I know of some fairly rare cases in which there are some problems with certain filters, like with the Ford 4.6 motors I had. If I wanted to do a long OCI I might look for something better, perhaps more capacity.
Like Ford OE motorcraft oil filters that are famous for getting holes in them? OE Ford is probably the worst choice. As long as Purolator makes Motorcraft, they will continue to be a poor choice.

That's a blanket statement that isn't completely true. I use the MC FL910 and the MC FL2017 and they are outstanding.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Guys and gals, Charlie presented a hypothesis or two and asked for peer review. He stated that he was exploring new ideas, but wanted to make a conclusion that would lead to a decision. No one has presented any help to Charlie to aid his decision because it is not possible.

Maybe if we challenged Mr. Buckley in a more respectful way, it might lead to more answers. What other filter manufacturer comes here to play with us?

It would be great if MotorKing could help me choose between the Fram Toughguard and Fram Ultra by posting up particle count data from UOAs taken at 5000 mile intervals!

Between those two filters there will be no tangible difference - super hair splitting. Like I said, you're trying to compare filters that are super close to each other in rated efficiency. Now if you were comparing 50% to a 98~99% efficient at 20 microns filters then the correlations would be easy to see like in the Bus Study data.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think that's what you're doing with comparing various ISO cleanliness code results between different high efficiency filters that rate very close to each other and were all ran on different engines using different oil and ran under different driving conditions.

btanchors particle counts were on the same engine, same mileage and same oil.

Between those two filters there will be no tangible difference - super hair splitting. Like I said, you're trying to compare filters that are super close to each other in rated efficiency. Now if you were comparing 50% to a 98~99% efficient at 20 microns filters then the correlations would be easy to see like in the Bus Study data.

They're close in the ISO test, but the question is at what mileage will you get significant improvements in the iso code cleanliness and what is it before that improvement?

With a full synthetic Amsoil (also close to Fram Ultra and Toughguard in ISO testing), it's between 14.4k and 22.2k that it begins to improve significantly.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4131246/1

The question is, will a lower capacity, high efficiency filter give you that benefit much sooner.

They're close in the ISO test, but the question is at what mileage will you get significant improvements in the iso code cleanliness and what is it before that improvement?

With a full synthetic Amsoil (also close to Fram Ultra and Toughguard in ISO testing), it's between 14.4k and 22.2k that it begins to improve significantly.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4131246/1

The question is, will a lower capacity, high efficiency filter give you that benefit much sooner.

Well, if you believe the M+H technical paper that shows an oil filter's efficiency decreases with use until it really gets loaded up, then that just throws in a whole other factor in this "study". That is, were those filters that showed better performance in the feild vs in the lab actually on the verge of getting loaded up to the point where the dela-p was really shooting up - ie, were they at the end of the "hockey stick" shaped curve, and therefore their efficiency improved at that point in their use cycle?

So many variables to look at, and too many ways to throw off any real correlation evidence. That's why personally I just try to simply it all and just use the ISO 4548-12 to make a decision about efficiency if that's the main factor on why I buy an oil filter. I have not seen one study that says an oil filter that tested best in the lab for efficiency then lost that edge while used in the field under the same conditions. That's as simple as I can describe the way I see it.

Well, if you believe the M+H technical paper that shows an oil filter's efficiency decreases with use until it really gets loaded up, then that just throws in a whole other factor in this "study". That is, were those filters that showed better performance in the feild vs in the lab actually on the verge of getting loaded up to the point where the dela-p was really shooting up - ie, where they at the end of the "hockey stick" shaped curve - and their efficiency improved at that point in their use cycle?

So many variables to look at, and too many ways to throw off any real correlation evidence. That's why personally I just try to simply it all and just use the ISO 4548-12 to make a decision about efficiency if that's the main factor on why I buy an oil filter. I have not seen one study that says an oil filter that tested best in the lab for efficiency then lost that edge while used in the field under the same conditions. That's as simple as I can describe the way I see it.

I'll take a look at that study again.

The thing is that Dr Dave got at least 20k miles of cleanliness code at 16/15/13 or better. At one point it was down to 14/13/10. But he had to wait at least 14.4k to get those results.

We don't know what else was going on with the filter though. Was it bypassing more? But with those particle counts, does it matter that it was?

Again, for me, I'm looking at it being 3 to 4 years to have the mileage to get that lower cleanliness code and would I then run it for another 4 years to reap the benefits that I waited for? Or is it better to get the lower cleanliness codes sooner with a lower capacity filter and change it every 2 to 3 years? Seeing the ISO 4548 tests have them so close to each other, the latter option seems to be the way to go for me.

We don't know what else was going on with the filter though. Was it bypassing more? But with those particle counts, does it matter that it was?

I think it does matter if the filter is going into bypass more because of it being loaded up - even though it might be more efficient at that point in it's use cycle. That's because the short "bursts" of dirty oil bypassing the element could cause wear/damage. Those bypassed particles then get cleaned back up after a few rounds through the filter and you'd never know by looking at the cleanliness code of the oil if that ever happened, or how many times that happened.

Again, for me, I'm looking at it being 3 to 4 years to have the mileage to get that lower cleanliness code and would I then run it for another 4 years to reap the benefits that I waited for? Or is it better to get the lower cleanliness codes sooner with a lower capacity filter and change it every 2 to 3 years? Seeing the ISO 4548 tests have them so close to each other, the latter option seems to be the way to go for me.

IMO, any filter that's 98% @ 20 microns or better is going to get you there. Just pick one that won't fail and blow it's efficiency performance out of the water.

IMO, any filter that's 98% @ 20 microns or better is going to get you there. Just pick one that won't fail and blow it's efficiency performance out of the water.

Do you have any information on what it would take in iso efficiency terms to change the iso cleanliness code by 1?

Eg if a 99% at 20 microns filter gives 16/15/13, what efficiency % would drop that to 17/16/14?

Here is a comparison that suggests the difference between a M1-104 and a Hyundai OEM 26300 35503 is worth 2 points in the iso cleanliness code.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2348578/1

Do you know the filter efficiency of the Hyundai filter?

Do you have any information on what it would take in iso efficiency terms to change the iso cleanliness code by 1?

Eg if a 99% at 20 microns filter gives 16/15/13, what efficiency % would drop that to 17/16/14?

Here is a comparison that suggests the difference between a M1-104 and a Hyundai OEM 26300 35503 is worth 2 points in the iso cleanliness code.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2348578/1

Do you know the filter efficiency of the Hyundai filter?

No real data to back-up what the Hyundai OEM filter's efficiency is, but based on other Asian car maker's OEM filters it's most likely not very stellar. Probably why you can get a 2 point shift in cleanliness code comparing them to something high efficiency like a Mobil 1 filter. You might not even see a solid 1 point shift unless you're comparing say an 80~85% @ 20 micron filter to a 99 @ 20u filter. Just a "theory" based on the 2 point shift seen when comparing the M1 to Hyundai.

No real data to back-up what the Hyundai OEM filter's efficiency is, but based on other Asian car maker's OEM filters it's most likely not very stellar. Probably why you can get a 2 point shift in cleanliness code comparing them to something high efficiency like a Mobil 1 filter. You might not even see a solid 1 point shift unless you're comparing say an 80~85% @ 20 micron filter to a 99 @ 20u filter. Just a "theory" based on the 2 point shift seen when comparing the M1 to Hyundai.

Looks like the Hyundai is 99.2% at 50 microns.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3158282

So midway ie 99% at 35 microns might be worth a 1 point shift from 99% at 20 microns.

I find it interesting that at 9:52 in the following video, the Xtended Guard had a filter effeciency listed at 97%. Every indication on this forum indicates the Ultra was just renamed from Xtended Guard. What's up with that? Jay? The TG had an efficiency listed at 99%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecpkvsnKKNg

and the 2nd :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttLaWepdL0

There are even comments on the first video wondering why the efficiency changed. Now, we are seeing they just list 99% (99% of what exactly?). Something is fishy...

Originally Posted By: MParr
There do seem to be some discrepancies. In fact, I have located some more. I have found a contractors report to Calrecyle. On page 30 or 31 of the report you will see the XG2 rated 94% at 20u. Has the efficiency changed?
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/publications/Documents/1493/20141493.pdf

Well - there's some interesting info in that CalRecycle document. I've seen it before.

But it does mention the infamous GM filter study from 1988; one which ABSOLUTELY HAS NO BASIS IN REALITY AND PROVIDES NO TANGIBLE INFORMATION FOR UNDERSTANDING FILTER PERFORMANCE IN THE REAL WORLD. So there's that ......

There do seem to be some discrepancies. In fact, I have located some more. I have found a contractors report to Calrecyle. On page 30 or 31 of the report you will see the XG2 rated 94% at 20u. Has the efficiency changed?

That study was about 6 years ago. The current Fram Ultra is 99%+ at 20 microns, and 80% at 5 microns. I think they changed the media a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

That study was about 6 years ago. The current Fram Ultra is 99%+ at 20 microns, and 80% at 5 microns. I think they changed the media a few years ago.

"I think..." is the key. Nobody had any real truths on apple to apple comparisons on the different filter brands. Instead people just reference what's labelled on the box, what is on the website, or what they are told from some "support" (AKA marketing) person within the company that just reads from their script. They change the label on the box (which maybe they changed the parameters in the test somehow, and it is still completely different than another filter manufacturer is doing), people believe it like the gospel. I take the numbers that they reference with a grain of salt, but instead use the build quality of the filter itself as the ultimate judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back