Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinion on "Restore", which claims to restore engine compression? Thanks for the attention.
smile.gif

I tend to drive cars into the ground. There's a certain joy to owning a fifteen year old beater-- if something craps out you're not out much of anything anyway.

I put Restore into the same catagory as Earl Scheib paint jobs-- useful depending on the car-- usually reserved for geriatric cases.

i asked that before and i got bommed with facts...really i used it before and it made my car run good...but someone took it apart and found high concentration of silicon i think inside of it. its a bluish oil. now i use no additives in my car, maybe 1 time a year at most but i havent used ne for the last 2 years. i stopped using restore now. i just change my oil more frequently

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
i asked that before and i got bommed with facts...really i used it before and it made my car run good...but someone took it apart and found high concentration of silicon i think inside of it. its a bluish oil. now i use no additives in my car, maybe 1 time a year at most but i havent used ne for the last 2 years. i stopped using restore now. i just change my oil more frequently

Sorry for the stupid question, but what's wrong with silicon in an engine?

Jason

Jason, silicon in oil analysis reports is usually dirt that has gotten past the air filter. So this translates into more engine wear, as this silicon will contribute to higher iron, lead and aluminum wear numbers too.

But there is also silicon in gaskets, so if someone has just gotten gasket work, high silicon will show up in oil analysis, but it's not as harmful. Also some oils contain silicon too, but it is also not harmful like silicon from dirt. Lower cost oil analysis (under $100) cannot differentiate between "good" silicon and "bad" silicon.

Good article, thanks for the info. I take it the silicon in Restore isn't necessarily bad, because the stuff is also a lubricant. Also when Bob put some on his timken machine, he got very good results as the stuff is an EP lubricant.

Jason

hehe it wasnt a stupid question...i think i gave u a stupid answer =) well i dont want to use additives now, i am letting the oil do all the work.

Silicon in supplements and additives is usualy in a form of a siloxane, an anti-foamant. It reduces surface tension in the bubbles entrained in the oil so the bubbles can burst.

I have used restore in the past, one thing that I noticed is that because the product is a dark blue when it mixed with the oil it made the oil turn kind of a weird yellow , even after changing the oil 2 times after adding restore the oil still looked weird, so I guess you can say the product stayed in there for the most part even after changing the oil, I didn't notice any changes in performance/fuel economy so I stopped using it. I learned my lesson, just stay away from the additive section at the auto parts store.

quote:

Originally posted by MustangGT:
I have used restore in the past, one thing that I noticed is that because the product is a dark blue when it mixed with the oil it made the oil turn kind of a weird yellow , even after changing the oil 2 times after adding restore the oil still looked weird, so I guess you can say the product stayed in there for the most part even after changing the oil, I didn't notice any changes in performance/fuel economy so I stopped using it. I learned my lesson, just stay away from the additive section at the auto parts store.

Restore definitely helped my 4.3 S10 I used to have, but it didn't do anything to my Grand Cherokee 5.2 I have now. Both engines had around 120k miles and ran good when I first tried it in both of them. It also never changed the colors of my oil either.

Jason

it never changed my colors as well but it has helped when i used it. though if i do use it its once ina blue moon, not every oil change. maybe it is healthy to do it 1 time every 2 years...basically its on ur own opinion....ill probably do something to add to my oil, probably shaeffers neutra to clean out my engine instead of tryin to cover things up for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back