Residential A/C troubleshooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the tenants of this building want the temperature to be below 74 when it is 90+ outside?

Maybe my blood has thinned but I keep the house at 78 degrees, then 75 when I go to bed.

A properly sized unit should run for a few hours to drop the temp 3 degrees like that in 90+ degree heat.

Indoor humidity will tell a lot. 78 degrees and 35 percent humidity inside is very comfortable.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
...Indoor humidity will tell a lot. 78 degrees and 35 percent humidity inside is very comfortable.
Indeed.

As I type, it's 78°F indoors with 36% Rh. Outside it's 84F and 79% Rh. A dry dwelling makes all the difference in a hot, humid environment.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Indoor humidity?
Not sure. I suppose I could take my hydrometer over to measure it, but not sure what that would prove? The drain from the evaporator is a slow drip. It does not seem to be pulling much moisture out of the house. This is humid Missouri. It is not like we do not have humidity.

Speaking of humidity, on the way home from that shift it rained. No it poured. Could hardly see the road on my way home. Cars had to pull off the Interstate it was that bad.

Indoor humidity should always be < 50%. Even better < 40%.

Cen. Tx is plenty hot/humid this time of year. Still it's very dry inside my house. See my earlier post for readings.

If it 'doesn't seem to be pulling much moisture out of the house", that's a problem when it's humid outside & the A/C runs for so long. Something's FUBAR.

Re: Your photos. You need to zoom out...not sure what I'm looking at.

It should be pulling a lot of water out with high humidity (60-70%) inside. The system is either low on refrigerant or there is an air flow problem across the evaporator.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
So the tenants of this building want the temperature to be below 74 when it is 90+ outside?

Maybe my blood has thinned but I keep the house at 78 degrees, then 75 when I go to bed.

A properly sized unit should run for a few hours to drop the temp 3 degrees like that in 90+ degree heat.

Indoor humidity will tell a lot. 78 degrees and 35 percent humidity inside is very comfortable.

Actually no. They are not able to operate the thermostat. My supervisor said keep it at 72 year around. All staff are supposed to comply. Now per State requirement if it is too hot or cold residents have to evacuate. I did not make the rules. I just try to follow them. A/C is running 24 hours a day with the hot weather.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It should be pulling a lot of water out with high humidity (60-70%) inside. The system is either low on refrigerant or there is an air flow problem across the evaporator.

That is what I am thinking, but have little power since I am entry level. Now when I was a supervisor I could get things done.

RE: Pictures, that is one side of the A/C unit condenser cooling fins. As you can see they were completely clogged. It was the same way on all sides until I hosed off all the debris. I do not have a picture of the A/C unit but it is about 3'x 3' square.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back