Replacement tool handles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of year again, I'm going to be doing some woodspliting. Looking at my Maul and Axe, I think it's time for some new handles.

I found this company:

https://www.househandle.com/products-2.html

Anybody use them? They seem to have a handle for anything, offer a selection of grades and their prices seem very good.

I think I'll look around the workshop,see what eles I might need to replacebefor placing
an order.

Last edited:
That's handy to know about them, although I did quit with the wood handles for spliting=all welded steel.

I don't use them, but all handles these days has to be sanded down 200 grit, then steel wool, they put that varnish on it. That varnish will grey over time and look butt ugly.

Then properly coat them with boiled linseed oil, burnish with steel wool, repeat.

Last edited:
I've replaced a few handles, but not from this company, so I can't really comment...

But, if you like splitting by hand, as I do, there is nothing better than a Gransfors Bruk splitting axe or maul. The sweetest axe I've ever swung...far more effective at splitting than even the heaviest maul I've tried...balanced well...sharp...tough...durable...worth every penny of the premium price!

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lapham3
That's handy to know about them, although I did quit with the wood handles for spliting=all welded steel.

I have had the maul I'm using a long time, I don't even know where the head came from, it could date back to the 40's

I did use a maul the other week, with a yellow plastic handle (it had little raised pimples onthe handle)
it was bloody awful! No was could I use it.

I'd like to try one of those Swedish axes one day, but in the meantime, my old maulgets a new handle. The last one lasted 7-8 years.

I can't imagine what the shock would be like from a steel shaft, I imagine they would beheavy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back