Remington circling the drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
So, is this going to affect Marlin, etc. also?

No. They are separate independent companies that are owned by the same holding company.

Okay, I get that. But, in a very general sense, if Remington isn't doing well, I would assume that the holding company is affected, which in turn would affect the other companies?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Okay, I get that. But, in a very general sense, if Remington isn't doing well, I would assume that the holding company is affected, which in turn would affect the other companies?

Marlin doesn't have Remington's legal baggage. That is what is hurting them the worst. And it also effects sale ability of the company itself, if the legal actions are transferred to the new owners. Which is an almost certainty. Remington has agreed to the whole voluntary recall thing. That is going to cost them tens of millions of dollars over the next several years. It's going to have to be priced at a real bargain, in order to get someone to buy into that financial mess. Marlin isn't plagued with anything that financially volatile. Their biggest problem is lever action rifles today have somewhat of a limited market. Especially now with Henry taking a large part of that market.

Originally Posted By: Al

Bankruptcy does not necessarily mean "liquidation".

This

Let's just wait and see how this unfolds. No doubt it'll get much more interesting.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Well it looks like they found the funding to file chapter 11. I honestly hope they can dig themselves out of the black hole they've been in and gain back some of their reputation.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remington-set-to-file-for-bankruptcy/

This happens with the airlines every 15 minutes. The little one's get eaten by the big one's. More than likely, that's what will happen to Remington. It will at some point, be absorbed by another firearms company with more working capital. Life goes on.

Hopefully they will be bought by a company who actually care about quality. They have been the laughing stock of the waterfowling community for several years. The 700 isn't what it used to be either. However I have a 597 .22 that I love and absolutely will pick it over a 10/22 every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
Hopefully they will be bought by a company who actually care about quality. They have been the laughing stock of the waterfowling community for several years.

It just bothers me when these type of generalizations get spread all over the Internet. Without any specifics or actual personal experiences. Over the last few years I have examined closely several new Remington firearms at shops and gun shows. Including various different configurations of the 700 rifle. As well as many different 870's and 1100's.

All that I saw and handled exhibited good fit, finish, and quality of build. There would have been nothing that would have caused me to put the gun down, if I were actually in the market to purchase it. More recently I did purchase a new Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum. I bought it off the Internet, sight unseen. I was not disappointed in the least. In fact, I couldn't have been more pleased. Everything on the weapon showed good quality, fit, and overall finish. And it ran perfectly. Not a single issue.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been a bad Remington get out from time to time. That happens with ANY manufacturer. But I don't believe that the current batches of new Remington's coming off the line are of any lesser quality than any of the other arms makers out there today. I base that on what you hear. It always seems to be more of.... "I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Remington today!" Than it is... "I bought a new Remington, and just look at how much is wrong with it!"

Hopefully they will be bought by a company who actually care about quality. They have been the laughing stock of the waterfowling community for several years.

It just bothers me when these type of generalizations get spread all over the Internet. Without any specifics or actual personal experiences. Over the last few years I have examined closely several new Remington firearms at shops and gun shows. Including various different configurations of the 700 rifle. As well as many different 870's and 1100's.

All that I saw and handled exhibited good fit, finish, and quality of build. There would have been nothing that would have caused me to put the gun down, if I were actually in the market to purchase it. More recently I did purchase a new Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum. I bought it off the Internet, sight unseen. I was not disappointed in the least. In fact, I couldn't have been more pleased. Everything on the weapon showed good quality, fit, and overall finish. And it ran perfectly. Not a single issue.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been a bad Remington get out from time to time. That happens with ANY manufacturer. But I don't believe that the current batches of new Remington's coming off the line are of any lesser quality than any of the other arms makers out there today. I base that on what you hear. It always seems to be more of.... "I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Remington today!" Than it is... "I bought a new Remington, and just look at how much is wrong with it!"

Yup, my newly acquired 700 is extremely well built
21.gif

Hunted waterfowl for 30 years with the same two Remington 12 ga ... mud, rain, etc ... guess folks are saying they are not what they used to be ...

There is nothing wrong with the new production Remington's.

I wish that was true. I had never owned one and thought it was misinformation. Bought a RM380 and it was broken out of the box. The trigger bar slips off the hammer and doesn't fire. And this isn't isolated, I've come across several others online who have had the same issue. I sent it in and they did a poor job repairing it so I'm waiting on a pickup right now to send it back in...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RoGuE
There is nothing wrong with the new production Remington's.

I wish that was true. I had never owned one and thought it was misinformation. Bought a RM380 and it was broken out of the box. The trigger bar slips off the hammer and doesn't fire. And this isn't isolated, I've come across several others online who have had the same issue. I sent it in and they did a poor job repairing it so I'm waiting on a pickup right now to send it back in...

Even I will admit that I would never buy a plastic or Aluminum pistol from Remington. Not because I don't think they're poorly built. But they are rather a poor design. Every gun maker has a dog that gets sick on them. Remember the S&W Sigma? But if you stick with Remington's proven designs, (700, 870, 1100, 1187, R-1 1911), they are as good today as they ever were.

I would not hesitate to purchase any proven Remington design today, based on what I've seen with the purchase of this weapon. I just thought I would put this out there, because of all the accusations of bad Remington guns I constantly seem to be reading about on many gun forums lately.

They filed for bankruptcy protection this morning.

But it’s re-organization, not liquidation.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Those holding companies really know how to drive a company into the ground.

Remington was in financial trouble long before Cerberus came along. If they hadn't they would have been gone long ago.

They were doing better then than now. After 8 years of record gun sales Remington should have been stacking cash like cordwood.

Originally Posted By: hatt
They were doing better then than now. After 8 years of record gun sales Remington should have been stacking cash like cordwood.

It takes more than sales. And sales don't always translate into profit. Remington was / is a worn out company. It's been bought and sold more times than Stormy Daniels. And mismanaged all the way. The building and it's equipment are falling apart. And it's located in an area of the country where wages and taxes are far too expensive. That's why so many manufacturers are getting out of the New England area, and building plants all over the south. Ever since it's DuPont days, Remington was owned by people who sucked it dry, and put nothing back. It finally caught up with itself.

That, and the fact they've had to pay out tens of millions over the years in law suits. And are now involved in a recall program that will add millions more in debt they can't afford. As I said, if it weren't for the infusion of capital from Cerberus, Remington would have been out of the gun market years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back