Remembering Steve Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hpb
Wow, didn't realise he was so well known overseas.

That would be an understatement. I doubt there was anyone of sound mind alive in the US during the early 2000s who didn't know "Croc Hunter". They might not have known Steve Irwin's name, but I nearly guarantee you that knew him when they saw him.

He was VERY popular on the Discovery's Animal Planet here, and had a lot of screen time on US late night shows.

Known and loved across a wide range of demographics. Old, young, rural, urban, whatever. Everyone knew him, and a whole lot still do.

Sounds like he was actually more popular in the US than here! To be honest I think a lot of Aussies found him a little cringe worthy... he was a bit OTT.

Originally Posted by hpb
Sounds like he was actually more popular in the US than here! To be honest I think a lot of Aussies found him a little cringe worthy... he was a bit OTT.

We've had our share of American conservationists doing something similar. One was Jack Hanna, the director of the Columbus Zoo. He wasn't as flamboyant, but he did a lot with a sense of humo(u)r. Another was Marlon Perkins, the host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. He was very straight-laced, but in his career as a zookeeper he had been bitten many times by venomous snakes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Kingdom

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by hpb

We've had our share of American conservationists doing something similar. One was Jack Hanna, the director of the Columbus Zoo. He wasn't as flamboyant, but he did a lot with a sense of humo(u)r. Another was Marlon Perkins, the host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. He was very straight-laced, but in his career as a zookeeper he had been bitten many times by venomous snakes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Kingdom

That Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins was a Sunday evening staple in our house growing up.

On another note, the pirate ship Steve Irwin has been scrapped from what I heard a while back.

Originally Posted by hpb

Americans love a "crazy" person.

The line "This animal is VEEEERY dangerous. Let's go get closer!" might have been more effective than offering free money for drawing audiences in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back