Relative's 2004 Durango...it had 3 quarts of oil!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I borrowed my relative's Durango to help with moving stuff across town. As a thank you, I told him I would change the oil since he told me it was due for an oil change soon. Upon receipt of the vehicle, I checked the oil and it appeared to be below the hatch mark. Grant it, the engine was running not too long ago, so I thought the oil reading was below the mark because of that. It did have a slight tick when I first cranked it up, but it went away a few minutes later.

To make a long story short, this high mileage (122k miles) durango actually had 3 quarts of oil prior to me changing it, while its capacity is 5.5 quarts! I then realize that the oil reading I was looking at was likely how much oil it really had, which was BELOW the hatch mark.

Without knowing the history except that my relative told me he gets it changed at a quick lube place every 5k miles, I'm wondering if he may have some sludge build up due to the little amount of oil it had for who knows how long.

It does not appear to be burning oil and I think the reason it was low was because upon proceeding to change the oil for this car, the oil drain plug was loose. I was able to unscrew it by hand from the get-go.

The oil/filter I put in was QS Defy 5w30 and Mopar filter. Should I offer to change the oil for him again just one more time to see if there are 'chunks' in the oil or just have him take it to another place?

I told him of my findings and initially recommended to him he get it changed another 3k miles instead of 5k miles and at another shop that does a better job...

Originally Posted By: accent2012

I told him of my findings and initially recommended to him he get it changed another 3k miles instead of 5k miles and at another shop that does a better job...

Leave it at that. Some people you just cannot help.

I would not have done as much as you did. You are now responsible for everything that will ever go wrong with that vehicle, brakes, suspension, taillight, all your fault.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I would not have done as much as you did. You are now responsible for everything that will ever go wrong with that vehicle, brakes, suspension, taillight, all your fault.

+1 No good deed goes unpunished!

Yes, he doesn't know as much as the experts on a motor oil forum, so you should probably just set his truck on fire. I mean, it's gonna explode anyway...

Honestly, I get what's wrong with trying to help out someone? He'll either take your advice or not, but there's no harm in trying. Not everyone is always thinking about cars and maintenance. It never even occurs to most people. First, I wouldn't assume it's horribly sludged, it may just be consuming 1 qt every 2K. That's not unheard of in an older truck, and if some was leaking past a loose drain plug then it may not even be that bad.

I think I'd just stress to him to check the oil at every fill-up and add as necessary (with oil purchased at an auto place, not the Stop-and-Rob!). If he's really getting it changed every 5K, the engine is probably in decent shape--though that last 1K with 3 qts in the sump isn't great. You could do one more oil change on it just to check things out. Having a friend with a truck is a good thing, you should try to help him keep it running!

- Tell him to check the dipstick at least every 1000 miles.

- Tell him about the oil usage and the loose drain plug.

- Maybe advise to find somewhere else besides the "quicklube" place, as they were probably the ones who left it loose.

Thanks for the colorful replies
smile.gif

I forgot to mention that I did tell him to check the dipstick every week and to possibly look at another place. At least the oil filter was on properly when I changed the oil.

Tell the dipstick to go 5k for the current oci and check the oil level once per week along with all the other fluids.

By all means, stay away from any further personal involvement with this relative's truck. You have now assumed responsibility for any and all future problems! FWIW--Oldtommy

Shift the responsibility for this thing back on him where it belongs and not on you. Pat him on the back and say atta boy.

As long as the oil pump didn't suck air, there's no harm done.
A 5k change interval should have kept the engine pretty clean.
I'd say that your relative is lucky that the oil drain plug didn't just fall out, as loose as you've said it was.
Anyway, you've changed the oil, you've told him to check it, although once every 1K is enough and you've advised him to find a more reliable shop to do future changes.
You did well.
Since he let you haul with his truck and will likely do so again, another change by you would probably be in order.
You might even show him how easy it is, and he can then DIY it.
He might then join this site and end up as OCD about oil and drain intervals as are most of us.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
The oil/filter I put in was QS Defy 5w30 and Mopar filter. Should I offer to change the oil for him again just one more time to see if there are 'chunks' in the oil or just have him take it to another place?

Next change at 3k miles at another shop, after that go back to 5k miles but need to check oil level at every fill up and top off if needed.

If he lets it get that low, sounds like he doesn't care, so I'd leave it as is. He's going to just go on and have it changed when & where, when he feels like it.

I have a BIL that has blown 5 engines up due to neglect. Most of them were run out of oil. He never changes his oil he just changes cars. And the thing that bugs the [censored] out of me is that he has money and is a supervisor where he works. Makes multi million dollar decisions. The only thing I can figure is that he has too much on his mind.

Last edited:
should have called the oil level to his attention before going any further, using the vehicle or servicing the vehicle...CYA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back