Refrigerator Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by PimTac
A quick search brought this up.
https://www.reference.com/home-garden/crosley-appliances-8289c8efe5a15529
r. It sounds like Crosley is just a nameplate.

Did you really read any of my post? Obviously not. Here, let me help you out just a little bit, as taken from my previous post.

"Okay, before you fire away that the company went out of the manufacturing business and it's a rebadged name only, yes, I know that."

Careful there, you might throw a clot.

The point remains, it's a useless choice of brands.

Originally Posted by glock19
I had a Kitchen-Aid refrigerator leak due to a defective part that got recalled. The recall covered the cost of the $5 part, but of course I was on the hook for the labor and repairing the damaged floor. I would steer clear of Kitchen-Aid just due to their terrible customer service.
We have all Whirlpool appliances now and so far they've been great.
KitchenAid is a brand name that is manufactured by Whirlpool... as are Amana, Maytag, Admiral, Jenn-Air, and Roper. As far as I know, all of Whirlpool's large appliances are manufactured in the USA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation
I have a Whirlpool refrigerator that I purchased in 1986. It is still going strong. In the 33 years that I have had it I have only had to replace a defrost timer and a couple of ice makers (common on ALL brands). I can't comment on weather or not their newer refrigerators are this reliable and durable.

Originally Posted by wag123
I had a Kitchen-Aid refrigerator leak due to a defective part that got recalled. The recall covered the cost of the $5 part, but of course I was on the hook for the labor and repairing the damaged floor. I would steer clear of Kitchen-Aid just due to their terrible customer service.
KitchenAid is a brand name that is manufactured by Whirlpool... as are Amana, Maytag, Admiral, Jenn-Air, and Roper. As far as I know, all of Whirlpool's large appliances are manufactured in the USA.
I have a Whirlpool refrigerator that I purchased in 1986. It is still going strong. In the 33 years that I have had it I have only had to replace a defrost timer and a couple of ice makers (common on ALL brands). I can't comment on weather or not their newer refrigerators are this reliable and durable.

They don't have the same customer service though.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
Around 1972, Dad decided we needed a fridge for the garage. We pulled a likely suspect out of the county dump, took it home, plugged it in and it ran fine. Scrubbed it inside and out and filled it with pop, beer and melons from the garden. I forget the brand on the heavy chrome nameplate but below the name it said " by General Motors" or something to that effect. Was still running well when the house sold in 1990.

Good story!! As a kid growing up, my dad and I always pulled old lawnmowers, window AC units, fridge's and old water hoses with holes in them out of the dump. Of course he taught me how to fix them all to be good as new. To this day if my wife and I are driving down the road and see a junk lawnmower out for the trash man, she knows what is going to happen!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123

They don't have the same customer service though.

This is true...In terms of customer service first priority is Jenn-Air, second Whirlpool, then Maytag, Kitchen-AId, and lastly ( Amana and Roper.)

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Basic GE have lasted without any troubles.

That was then. Now Haier makes stuff for GE.

It is getting to the point that the brand name is becoming meaningless.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Basic GE have lasted without any troubles.

That was then. Now Haier makes stuff for GE.

It is getting to the point that the brand name is becoming meaningless.

Yes Haier bought ALL of GE consumer appliance division in 2016. I've personally experienced the declining quality of their products a couple of years after the deal went though and Haier took control. Haier is doing a LOT of cost cutting, what's insightful and interesting (not in a good way) is that existing GE designs and products before the Haier takeover had changes made to them which decreased quality, performance, and durability, yet externally the products looked either identical or almost the same.

Haier used to sell in the USA directly until a couple of years ago and from my experience Haier appliances were crap.

I did a lot of reading last fall and ended up buying a GE side by side last year from Home Depot. So far I like everything.

I am a believer in reading Consumer Reports for appliance info and ratings.

I would vote GE or Frigidaire/Electrolux.

While researching washers and dryers I read a lot of not so savory things about LG and Samsung when it came to reliability and support for pretty much all of their appliances. Basically it seems they grew too fast too quickly and don't have an adequate network of authorized repair persons or even an adequate parts supply. I read into it that if you have an issue you are going to be waiting a bit to have it repaired.

GE: My 19 year old condo has the original builders grade GE appliance package (dishwasher, fridge, range and above range microwave) that are still going strong. Yes the dishwasher (Nautilus) is noisy AF and the oven temp calibration is at least 25 degrees off but they still all run and (knock on wood) have not had a breakdown in 1.5 years. Not pretty to look at but they do what is requested of them - its like having a dusty and dented 1997 Toyota Camry.

Frigidaire/Electrolux: - my folks have a now 12 year old Frigidaire front load washer and dryer that have not had a single issue, after my visit there last week the bearings are starting to get a bit noisy. Previously had the same Frigidaire front load set my folks have and it went 4 years with no issues before it got sold off with the house. I went with Electrolux (branch of Frigidaire now) for the washer/dryer in my condo because of past experience - but will be honest the belt and all the pulleys on the dryer had to be replaced under warranty already because they started roaring - this was right around the 1 year mark.

I have heard very good things about Whirlpool too. Had a Whirlpool package in an apartment I lived in for ~1.5 years and they worked wonderfully (especially the dishwasher) but can't really comment on reliability.

Good luck!

The problem is what was good a few years ago may no longer be good. Having said that I recently replaced some 25+ year old Whirlpool appliances with new Whirlpools. Prices on Black Friday sales were great. They fit and matched and if they are good for another 25 I may be gone by then!

I replaced my old refrigerator with Avanti RA7316PST last year the best feature of it that it comes with removable glass shelves that can be adjusted according to your requirements. The capacity is of 7.4 cu, which is a really impressive capacity to be used in a large family home, offices, kitchens, etc.

Avanti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back