Refrigerator & freezer not cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
My freezer is no longer cold enough, the ice cream started to melt and frozen meat became soft. I turned it off and cleaned the condenser coil which was pretty dusty. When I turned back on my evaporator coil fan did not work. The unit is 13 years old. Is the fridge still salvageable? Should I turn it on and see if the frost covers all of the evaporator coil, and if it does get a new fan, and if not to shop for a new one?

Is the defrost cycle working ? If not the coils behind the panel the fan blows thru will be a block of ice and it will not cool . Make sure there is no ice back there .

Defrost is controlled by a timer down by the compressor .

Should the fan always run? 13 years is not a bad run for a refrig. In many cases the refrigerant has leaked out and its no longer able to cool.

Do you hear the compressor?

A new one will be more energy efficient. Aside from a hot water heater, the refrig is probably the single largest user of electricity day in and day out.

In order to run properly, your evap fan must work (when the compressor is running) in order to complete the refrigerant phase changing. Otherwise, your fridge won't cool properly inside.

Q.

depends on the issue as to if its worth worrying about. The same thing happened to my GE and it was simply a burnt solder joint. Re-soldered it and its been running fine since. Do some goggling. There is some pretty good troubleshooting guides available.

The compressor is still working, I was advised to run the fridge for 5-6 hours to see if frost will form on the evaporator coil, which I presume to check if it is still cold enough, I understand that if the evaporator is not working the cold air will not be blowing to the freezer and the fridge. If frost is formed to at least 3/4 of the evaporator than it might be worthwhile to replace the fan. Is that a good way to go?

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Is the defrost cycle working ? If not the coils behind the panel the fan blows thru will be a block of ice and it will not cool . Make sure there is no ice back there .

Defrost is controlled by a timer down by the compressor .

We had an issue like this 13 months ago with our 20 year-old GE side-by-side. Repairman replaced the timer; paid $205. It's been working perfect since.

Had this problem twice. First time it was the evaporator fan not circulating, and the second time it was the defrost timer. Either will result in the evaporator coil becoming a solid block of ice.

Defrost timer turns off the evaporator fan & compressor-could be stuck in defrost. See if you can find the timer in the bottom & see if the motor on it is running, coil may also be warmer than the cabinet if the heaters are on.

Needs more ice
crackmeup2.gif

Yes....try the defrost timer first. I had to replace one on a refrigerator some 20 plus years ago.

This one was down low in front....took a screwdriver and advanced the timer till the unit kicked on.

As for the age, the fridge in my house is 15 years old and all I have done, other than clean the coils, is replace the ice maker. Hard to live without an ice maker when you are used to having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back