Redline SL-1. Application warning

Messages
5,124
Location
Atlanta,GA
Thread starter
I do not recommend trying to pour this product cold. I tried using the product this morning and all it did was overflow sending an oily mess down the side of my car. It has the consistency of diesel fuel when cold and won't flow. The short filler neck compounds the problem because it's not long enough to open the flapper. A #[email protected]! mess this morning that I did not want to have to deal with on my way to work so I had to throw away what was essentially a full bottle of product. $$$ wasted. mad
 
Last edited:
Messages
5,761
Location
New England
Interesting info...I am really surprised that a fuel additive gets so thick when cold, the ones I have used have always seemed to be more or less like pouring gasoline. Thanks for sharing!
 
Messages
5,124
Location
Atlanta,GA
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Interesting info...I am really surprised that a fuel additive gets so thick when cold, the ones I have used have always seemed to be more or less like pouring gasoline. Thanks for sharing!
- Agree and I've experienced the same but this product was oily very similar to diesel.
Originally Posted by postjeeprcr
Interesting. I leave mine in a cold garage and have never has an issue with it when cold.
- Perhaps the neck to your gas tank has a slight design difference (Either no flap or the distance between the flap and the end of the filler neck is close enough where the bottle, when inserted, will push it open)?
 
Messages
8,119
Location
New England
When I used to dose my STI half a decade ago I never had any issues, even in the dead of winter. IIRC, it glugged like it was a little more viscous than gasoline, but still poured easily and the last few drips weren't syrupy or anything. Maybe you got a bootleg bottle of SI-1? Besides, it's not even below freezing down there right now.
 

Pew

Messages
1,021
Location
Illinois
How cold is it? I poured my last SL-1 in ~40F temps and it seemed to have the same consistency as when it's at room temp. My focus does have the "easy filler" cap that is just the gas flap instead of the screw on cap and I do have to use the filler funnel that came with the car because of the SL-1's short bottle neck.
 
Messages
5,124
Location
Atlanta,GA
Thread starter
Originally Posted by gathermewool
When I used to dose my STI half a decade ago I never had any issues, even in the dead of winter. IIRC, it glugged like it was a little more viscous than gasoline, but still poured easily and the last few drips weren't syrupy or anything. Maybe you got a bootleg bottle of SI-1? Besides, it's not even below freezing down there right now.
-Not bootleg. Unless AdvanceAutoparts is selling really good fakes.
Originally Posted by racin4ds
I highly doubt its cold enough in GA right now to cause this product to thicken to that of Molasses that would actually cause pouring issues....
As I said It poured like diesel not molasses. grin2 The problem is the short filler neck and what I imainge was the increase in viscosity slowed down the rate at which the product would squeeze past the flapper. I dunno, it was my first experience with this product so perhaps it's normally a little high in viscosity vs something like Techron or Berrymans.
Originally Posted by Pew
How cold is it? I poured my last SL-1 in ~40F temps and it seemed to have the same consistency as when it's at room temp. My focus does have the "easy filler" cap that is just the gas flap instead of the screw on cap and I do have to use the filler funnel that came with the car because of the SL-1's short bottle neck.
It was around 35F and the bottle was probably 5-10 degrees warmer. Short bottle neck was the primary problem. I imagine Redline is trying to save money on bottle varieties but come on.
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,163
Location
sonoma
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
As I said It poured like diesel not molasses.
Something that pours like diesel wont go into filler neck? I wonder how diesels get away with it, lol. And this caused you to throw away the bottle? common man, is this fake news or something?
 
Messages
5,124
Location
Atlanta,GA
Thread starter
Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
As I said It poured like diesel not molasses.
Something that pours like diesel wont go into filler neck? I wonder how diesels get away with it, lol. And this caused you to throw away the bottle? common man, is this fake news or something?
Well I couldn't dispense it into my tank and the bottle was covered in product with no more towels to wipe it off. I wasn't going to let the VOC's evaporate into the interior of my car. I had a similar experience with PowerService years ago. My fault. I should have been better prepared with a funnel because I remember this happening to someone else years and years ago.
 
Messages
572
Location
Ohio
It was 20 in Ohio this morning and the bottle I have is fine. Maybe you got duped on your bottle, mine came from advance.
 
Top