Redline and low speed pre ignition

Have you heard of anyone that had LSPI with any oil?

There was a podcast or something where Lubrizol engineers stated that a Dexos1 Gen1 oil was in use on a vehicle that had a catastrophic engine event involving LSPI. I believe this was in Las Vegas. They stated specifically that Dexos1 Gen2 oils, and ostensibly SN+ oils have never been seen to be in use for any such failures.

I think a link to this discussion was posted by wemay about a year ago, and I dived into the details. "lubrizol360" or something like that.

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced lspi using Redline in turbocharged direct injection engines? Actual experiences. If so, I like to know.
Oil is band aid. They key is design. European turbo engines, with few exceptions some 15 years ago, are not prone to LSPI.
Some latecomers in this "downsizing" game are the problem. Also, bigger turbo engines (and 2.0ltr engines should not have this issue, unless poorly designed) do not have this issue
So, what do you have in your garage?
Problem with Redline oils is that their intended application. They are good oils, but I would not trust them full OCI as they have very high oxidation. But that is OK, as their application is more for people who look for performance than long OCI.
better solution would be Euro oils such as ACEA A3, C3 etc.

Oil is band aid. They key is design. European turbo engines, with few exceptions some 15 years ago, are not prone to LSPI.
My 2009 MINI JCW Clubman (1.6l turbo) was
throwing superknock codes a couple times
a month on random cylinders until I changed
to SN+ oil. Then it stopped happening.

My 2009 MINI JCW Clubman (1.6l turbo) was
throwing superknock codes a couple times
a month on random cylinders until I changed
to SN+ oil. Then it stopped happening.
Could be that that engine has an issue. Premium gas?
I would go with Euro oils available in Wal mart.

So if it was predominant in this particular brand and vehicle, does that indicate a material or design defect?
No idea. Probably design....by using a small highly loaded engine, that sees alot of boost at low rpm. Not a great design in my opinion. Of the GM ones that I was aware a bit, most of the issue was in the heavier cars(caddy), as compared to say a cruze.

No idea. Probably design....by using a small highly loaded engine, that sees alot of boost at low rpm. Not a great design in my opinion. Of the GM ones that I was aware a bit, most of the issue was in the heavier cars(caddy), as compared to say a cruze.
There are numerous small turbo engines that do not have this issue. Europe is full of them. Yet, they do good.

There are numerous small turbo engines that do not have this issue. Europe is full of them. Yet, they do good.
Thats why I say design....some models issues, some dont. Are the euros as heavy as , say the caddys that were having issues? I would think some of these heavy cars are under boost most of the time by design, to make them "feel" like the v6 they are replacing.

Back