redesigned ph7575

pb

Popped in to the local rural king, picking up a Fram PH7575 and there on the shelf are 2 versions- new and old.

KIMG0386.jpg
KIMG0387.jpg
KIMG0388.jpg
KIMG0389.jpg

I'd chosen to ditch the 3614 use in my OPE, but now they look really familiar. The "new" 7575 is ~1/8" shorter than the prior version. No longer wrapped but now with grip. Shirley fram would not label 2 different filter p/n with similar internals.

The one on the right looks like one of their Fram Drive filters because of the textured orange only can with no black safe-grip, but the model number doesn't coincide with that (no FD in front of the 7575). I wonder if this is a consolidation of the two lines. The base plate on the left is definitely a Champ Filter, the one on the right could be WIX but not sure.

The one the right looks like no Fram made orange can spin on I recognize. Does the coo say Made in Mexico? Like to see that date code. And shrink wrap, what's up with that? Doesn't look like Fram Drive either to me. Baseplate design with outer ring reminds me of a Wix made for filter.

Ahh, just looked up applications. It's an OPE application filter, and most likely a "made for Fram", now brought in house (on left). I suspect not a very high volume seller.

I think the one on the right is much older. The boxes haven’t looked like that in years. Does it have a date or company name on it (allied signal or honeywell)?

I'm surprised they still even bother to make these and don't just recommend the ph3614 or ph3600 in it's place.
Likely because Fram wants to have an OPE specific application available for the 'go by the book' less sophisticated OF crowd. OPE specific filters generally significantly more expensive than auto equivalent application.

Another Fram OPE, the PH8170 was/is another made for Fram application, had at least a couple manufacturers, one India coo. Latest with metal endcaps made by Champ Labs US, now also part of First Brands.

Seeing box now, it's Honeywell old. lol. Must have been sitting on shelf for quite some time. Again though, in all likelihood a "made for Fram" filter.

Back