Red Line engine oil break in additive: what dosage?

Good evening!

Am I reading this correctly?

Bottle (16oz) contains:
33.8 grams total ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate)
17,000 ppm, 7.8 grams Phosphorus (P)
20,500 ppm, 9.4 grams Zinc (Zn)
16.6 grams Sulphur (S)

Divided by 16oz, each 1oz contains 1281.25ppm Zinc, 1062.5ppm Phos, and 1.037 grams Sulpher.

I'm under the impression it's mandatory to stay south of 2000ppm ZDDP, other wise or it becomes corrosive, but the minimum dose is listed as treating up to 12 quarts. It seems like even one ounce added to a modest PCMO would be near the max so I must be missing something? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 6.48.09 PM.png

Are you breaking in a engine? Or maintaining a flat tappet one? I used 1 ounce per quart each oil change on my toys, all flat tappet engines. Starting them up I've used this product or GM break in lube. If new engine, pre-lube the oil system for sure. Something else to do, soak the lifters and timing chain in oil. Really helps the timing chain starting out.

Thanks for the reply!

I am using both to break in a new engine and as a full OCI maintenance dose to beef up the ZDDP in oil for flat tappet toys.

I just don't understand how the bottle recommends 1/2 bottle for 4-6 quarts. That's 8oz of additive, and if my math is correct that would give your 4-6 quarts of oil 10,250ppm Zinc, and 8,500ppm Phosphorus on top of what the oil already had!?

My only conclusion is that would be way too much ZDDP so I must be doing the math wrong in how the additive effects overall ZDDP ppm.

Found some information for anyone with the same questions, this thread from 2008: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/redline-engine-break-in-additive.91406/

Some key posts from that thread:

MolaKule in 2008:
Here is one formula for determining new ppm levels. (Additive oz. x PPM + Oil oz. x PPM)/(oz. of Additive + oz. of PCMO) = new ppm

m37charlie in 2009:
"How Much ZDP is Enough?" is a controversial topic. It's the title of SAE technical paper 2004-01-2986. It basically advocates relatively low levels of P = 500-800 ppm except for break-in of hotrodded flat tappet engines. OTOH paper 2000-01-1993 "Performance of an Advanced Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil" states that Mobil increased the Zn/P concentrations from 1300/1160 to 1490/1350 ppm in developing the CH4 version of Delvac 1 in order to better protect against soot-caused wear in the valvetrain (including rocker arm area) and rings. So 3 engineers from one of the leading diesel synthetic oil mfgs are quoted as supporting Zn/P concentrations to that level because of the wear-inducing effects of high soot concentrations. A big warning: Zn or P concentrations over 2000 ppm can attack camshaft hardened coatings and cause catastrophic camshaft failure, i.e. "chunking". Do your arithmetic carefully if using these additives. Charlie

Cheers!

Good evening!

Am I reading this correctly?

Bottle (16oz) contains:
33.8 grams total ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate)
17,000 ppm, 7.8 grams Phosphorus (P)
20,500 ppm, 9.4 grams Zinc (Zn)
16.6 grams Sulphur (S)

Divided by 16oz, each 1oz contains 1281.25ppm Zinc, 1062.5ppm Phos, and 1.037 grams Sulpher.

I'm under the impression it's mandatory to stay south of 2000ppm ZDDP, other wise or it becomes corrosive, but the minimum dose is listed as treating up to 12 quarts. It seems like even one ounce added to a modest PCMO would be near the max so I must be missing something? Thanks!
View attachment 30115
I just bought a bottle for a cam install on a 4.6 Mustang engine
Man that’s some serious stuff.....

Back