Recommended bypass setup for a 99 7.3L Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a bypass setup for a 99 7.3L Powerstroke
I know enough to stay away from the amsoil dual bypass
Was looking at a Frantz or Oilguard but am open to suggestions
Thanks

nothing wrong with the bypass filter mount all by itself,
I just did one on a 1999 F350 and it only took me 30min to install, I mounted it to the driver side of the transmission and used #4 stainless lines that run from the driver side of the block to the filter mount and back to the oil filler cap, very clean and the filter is out of site. I could get pics

Quote:

Thanks

I have been running an oilguard on my 7.3 for some time now. Seems to work just fine.

Hammer

I really like my Frantz that I installed on my 2000 Powerstroke. It really seams to do the job. A lot of people suggest changing the filter every 2k but I go 5k with no problems. My oil is visibly cleaner throughout my oci and my ua's have come back real good. I wish I would have installed the thing when my truck was new. I posted some pictures of my setup here. It is my understanding that the Amsoil bypass used to have a problem but I believe the problem was corrected
dunno.gif
. I am sure someone else will chime in and answer for sure. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

The Amsoil dual by-pass was never a bad device, but the single by-pass setup was better in the sense that you wouldn't alter the OEM filter setup. Some engines, with certain installation methods, were not working well with the dual setup. That was my understanding from what I've read.

not a smart move to install the dual filter bypass with 3/8 hoses on any engine, especially the 7.3 powerstroke, and even worse to hook it up backwards, in any case if you use 5/8 plumbing i/e #10 sized lines and high flow fittings you wont see any problems either. but to be safe and spend less money and install it much easier the bypass by itself is the best way to go with the 7.3 diesel.

The PS diesel has a massive oil flow. The center threaded section on the ff is like 1.5" (1 1/2-12 thread). It designed for 30 gpm flow. No combo Amsoil setup is made for that. However the BMK-11 and BMK-12 (Dual Guard) are totally viable in this installation as stand alone bypass filters.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I put 4 Frantz bypass filters(Oil,Coolant,Trans,Fuel) on my 99 PSD back in 2004..They are still working great.. You can check it out on my webshots page...
http://rides.webshots.com/album/114815318vlzHVh

how come you didn't spend a lil coin on the transmission line? looks like a leak waiting to happen, gotta screwdriver?
have you any oil samples from the trans or engine?
how does the Evans work for ya? I use it too, but no filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back