Recommendation For An Oil Filter Cutter

You don't need anything expensive. The cheapest one I can find is that red one for $25 on eBay. Lucky. When I got mine, the cheapest one was $40

I bought the ProForm years back and it sure as heck wasn't $76. There are some others listed here for much less. Key is the cutter. Whatever you get make sure you can change out the cutter. Its only a pipe cutter as I'm sure you recognized from the pics

.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oil+filter+cutter&crid=1DDK57BBJF7RI&sprefix=oil+filter+cutter%2Caps%2C137&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Longacre filter cutter

Attachments

• A7048945-82F3-4A8F-9516-79604D024125.jpg
    A7048945-82F3-4A8F-9516-79604D024125.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 31
I'd say the Longacre and Proform are the creme dela creme of filter cutters. Their price seems to correspond with that notion. Since I first started cutting them open years ago there are now many more options, and less expensive. Ebay and Amazon list many of them, no doubt made in China. I can't vouch for their durability, 'might be' ok.

I still have the Harbor Freight Exhaust Cut off tool (no longer sold) made in Taiwan that I got for ~$15 many years ago. Still works fine, with a little finesse along the way. It's not like I cut open filters daily. I also have the Summit/(Jegs) cutter linked above, it was given as a gift before I purchased the cut off tool. Problem with it was the guide wheels too far apart for the smaller ~3" filters like the 7317/6607. Filters lower crimp edge hits the cross bar while turning. I believe Summit(not Jegs) updated the design, now have shiny aluminum guide wheels as opposed to former black, and moved them closer together. I say that because watched some you tubes showing the updated Summit on smaller filters, and they don't seem to hit bar.

I saw Dremel mentioned, only issue with that is all the debris and metal filings that end up on the filter element after using.

Bottom line, just depends on how much you will use it and how much you want to spend.

Last edited:
I just bought this but it’s a lot bigger than most people probably need here for standard auto filters. It was also back ordered since June.

Attachments

• 1C9CAC46-5155-446C-9B23-24FAD8CF5411.jpeg
    1C9CAC46-5155-446C-9B23-24FAD8CF5411.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 839514D1-387E-4A6D-BBD1-278AEE28B709.jpeg
    839514D1-387E-4A6D-BBD1-278AEE28B709.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 51
I just bought this but it’s a lot bigger than most people probably need here for standard auto filters. It was also back ordered since June.
I could use a large filter cutter. (y)
The one I have is for automotive size filters
Yesterday I had to cut open a large oil filter off our Detriot Diesel with a hacksaw.

Cost?

I could use a large filter cutter. (y)
The one I have is for automotive size filters
Yesterday I had to cut open a large oil filter off our Detriot Diesel with a hacksaw.

Cost?
I can’t remember but I think it was around $100. Been too long since I’ve ordered it. I did just look on cat and it doesn’t come up anymore. Not sure what the reason is.

Not that it seems necessary after what 53' Stude wrote about his Longacre but it's nice to see spare parts available for the cat unit. Also says origin is US on the photo Creekside posted of the box.

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 1.29.12 PM.jpg

Back