Recomended Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there significant advantage to using a synthetic oil compared to dino in 4-cycle lawn mower engines? I imagine if I ask for a brand recommendation I will stir up a hornet's nest, so I will just stick with the basic type (unless, of course someone has a strong feeling in this area).
patriot.gif
I live in central Alabama, so the ambient temperature is generally fairly warm.

I have noticed something on one banger yard robots (tillers, mowers, pressure washers, edgers,etc) - and I know it's my imagination - they run stronger, cooler and more happily on synthetic oil....
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by thiggy:
Is there significant advantage to using a synthetic oil compared to dino in 4-cycle lawn mower engines? I imagine if I ask for a brand recommendation I will stir up a hornet's nest, so I will just stick with the basic type (unless, of course someone has a strong feeling in this area).
patriot.gif
I live in central Alabama, so the ambient temperature is generally fairly warm.

Synthetics would have higher resistance to extremely high temperatures and the capability of longer drain intervals (Compared to a mineral oil of the same viscosity).

With that said though, I use 15w-40 in all of our mowers and tractors, including those that originaly called for 30-weight.

...A good 15w-40 gives much better protection in comparison to a 30-weight passenger car oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back