Rear main seal trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
So doing the clutch on my Mustang since it got contaminated with oil... thus also doing the rear main seal. Everything is out and apart, and I just got done ruining- I mean trying to installed a ptfe/teflon RMS from Fel=Pro. I first installed it in the RMS cover then tried installing the cover. Absolutely no dice; maybe if I dropped the oil pan but the bottom half of the seal just doesn't even have enough room to get to the bottom of the crank flange.

Since I already had the housing/cover RTV'ed I removed the RMS and installed the housing figuring I'd do some internet searching and try again with the RMS install with the housing on the block already.

Anybody familiar with the Ford modular V8s have any tips or suggestions? The Fel-pro ptfe/teflon RMS just seems like its too small to fit. I'm sure it needs to be nice and tight but how the heck do you get it on without folding over the lip?

Edit: Looks like the Fel-pro [censored] 40644 and the Timken 5277 are both the "improved" PTFE design. They are also within a few bucks of each other. I've used Fel-pro seals in multiple applications with little troubles. Any reason to select the Timken over the FP?

Last edited:
Betcha you could find a how to on you tube. I did a rope seal RMS 3 time before I discovered the oil pan was the culprit
grin2.gif

The shaft is actually just about perfect. So....turns out I'm a little slow. What I thought was just packaging- a white plastic ring along the inside....well apparently thats an install tool to help is slide over the crankshaft. Thats $20 wasted
crazy.gif

Yes you need an installation tool for PTFE seals, they are delicate and easily damaged, these are basically stretch to fit and thatch the problem they don't return to a correct fit unless you compress them like those found in auto boxes and steering racks. Do not use oil or install lube with them unless specified by the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes you need an installation tool for PTFE seals, they are delicate and easily damaged, these are basically stretch to fit and thatch the problem they don't return to a correct fit unless you compress them like those found in auto boxes and steering racks. Do not use oil or install lube with them unless specified by the manufacturer.

What he said, with emphasis on don't try to outsmart the designers and use oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back