Rear End Swap Ratios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you have the tools and know how to change the R&P that will almost certainly be the most cost effective way. If you have to pay someone to do it it’ll probably be cheaper to find a complete assembly unless 4.10 is super rare and hard to find.

Honestly, I would go with 4.10s or 4.30s. I had a 3.0 ranger 5spd that lived being floored and ran 4500-5000 almost everywhere it went. It had 3.73s and had no power. Go for it!
The naysayers are lazy and don't see the fun in this. I do. I would swap out them yourself. You have other cars to drive in the downtime. You will have a sense of pride in doing so. I love projects.

Are there any 8.5's in housings that will fit? You are right, 8.5's have more options. Maybe a junk-yard housing with 8.5's and then do your thing ...

Then if you decide to up the motor, the rear will not blow half way off a light
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I know how you can get 4.16 gears for cheap, change the tire size.
One thing you could do is install 195/50/15 tires on it. Such a tire will spin at 915 RPMs +/- vs the stock size spinning at 751 RPM's.
The math says the difference is 1.2183. Times that by your rear end ratio of 3.42 and you now have an effective change to a 4.16 ratio.
Try finding such tires at a used tire shop and see if you like the change. I'm guessing the lower profile tire will work just fine on your
stock wheels.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Are there any 8.5's in housings that will fit? You are right, 8.5's have more options. Maybe a junk-yard housing with 8.5's and then do your thing ...

Then if you decide to up the motor, the rear will not blow half way off a light
laugh.gif

It's a swap people do when they go V8, a route I was going to do, but honestly I would rather do a junkyard turbo setup. I think with the 8.5 swap there's suspension and driveline mods that need to be done. I can swap the internals of the 7.5 without much fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back