real maple syrup vs Log Cabin etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you don't want to consume is High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) It is linked to diabetes, obesity, cancer, dementia, liver failure, tooth decay, and probably some more bad stuff! Think of it as Sludge in your Blood! By the way, first time long time! Howdy!javascript: void(0)

Ha ha ha ha !!! Too funny. Though I certainly understand
smile.gif

I make my lady REAL smoked bacon off the grill. Hickory wood chunks and Kingsford charcoal. Place bacon opposite side of the small fire and pull the smoke and low heat across the bacon strips. She asks me to make this for her. So, I understand where you are coming from on this.

I only get the real stuff, lots of local producers here in western WI. Log cabin may as well be oil. Oil is probably better for you.

I could drink any grade, but I like medium and dark a lot. Great on ice cream. Somedays I can't decide if I want my breakfast covered in syrup or Tabasco.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
What you don't want to consume is High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) It is linked to diabetes, obesity, cancer, dementia, liver failure, tooth decay, and probably some more bad stuff! Think of it as Sludge in your Blood!

it is bad stuff..... also hard to find foods that DO NOT contain it

Can't help but wonder if it turns human liver into "foie gras d'oie"

We usually go through a gallon or two of maple syrup a year. My FIL friend makes it. He's in western NY. $9 a quart.

If we run out before the following year we buy from locals here, but its more expensive.

I cant stand corn syrup.

My Grandmother told me how they made it on her farm in NE Pennsylvania. After they gathered the sap it went into a large iron pot. They built a fire under the pot and suspended a piece of pork fat above it to keep the foam down. She said it took about 17 quarts of sap to make 1 quart of syrup.

I like real maple syrup but growing up we had cane syrup, a Southern thing, around our house - and I still do. A 50/50 combo of natural maple syrup, plus some other stuff, makes a real tasty BBQ rib final hlaze. More so than either one seperately. Maple syrup a bit thin & runny, cane syrup a tad stout for some palates - the blend is best of both.

Pecan pie made with cane syrup is significantly different from the typical corn syrup variety. Really good a la mode.

Last edited:
Real Maple Syrup is food. Corn sweeteners should never be eaten. It's worth the trouble to avoid them.

When you purchase children's cereals the cardboard box might be more nutritious than the cereal. Type II diabetes is a plague and it's spreading fast and these additives like HFCS are the vector.

Don't believe the old saying, everything in moderation. Even the smallest amount of corn sweeteners are bad for you and really screw up the process of living.

Try 30 days without them. It's a real pain. It will be a real project. It's everywhere. HFCS cover up poor quality, stale, nutrient poor food substitutes. You'll be able to feel the results.

Only the real stuff for me. The fake corn syrup stuff is disgusting. My wife however, is just the opposite. She hates the real stuff and only uses the corn syrup garbage.

This thread has been VERY educational!! As much as I absolutely love waffles,pancakes,and French toast,I looked on my bottle of Aunt Jemima's syrup. The first ingredient,high fructose corn syrup. Guess what is getting thrown in the trash.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Only the real stuff for me. The fake corn syrup stuff is disgusting. My wife however, is just the opposite. She hates the real stuff and only uses the corn syrup garbage.

When I was a kid, I only liked the corn syrup stuff. My tastes have changed.

Inlaws had a sugar shack in Hanover Ma. Best stuff I ever put on a waffle or sourdough pancake. Stunning. I think it got one pass through a felt filter; Dark brown, thin and full of complex flavours.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
This thread has been VERY educational!! As much as I absolutely love waffles,pancakes,and French toast,I looked on my bottle of Aunt Jemima's syrup. The first ingredient,high fructose corn syrup. Guess what is getting thrown in the trash.

Smart move. HFCS should never be eaten. And real maple syrup tastes 1000X better. It is like drinking real coffee vs instant.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

That's exactly my situation too. When I was a kid I couldn't stand anything that was "maple". I couldn't even eat any of donuts that had been in the same display case as the maple donuts because I could detect a slight whiff of that nasty smell. But then when I moved to Wisconsin for school I was introduced to real maple syrup (and real whipped cream and real butter) and I learned that the real thing was nothing like that gross fake flavor I knew as a kid. Now I love anything that is real maple, but I still can't stand the smell of the imitation flavor. My wife however still likes the nostalgic smell/taste of the fake stuff she grew up with. I think she also doesn’t like the thinner viscosity of the real stuff and how it soaks into the pancake or waffle. That makes no difference to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back