Real life cold weather start

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents retired and moved to Palm Springs Ca back in the early 90's. Dad passed on in 2009 and Mom in 2011, but they lived in an over 55 retirement community that had manufactured homes, Upscale trailer houses, My parents had washer and dryer outside on a covered back patio and an electric stove/oven outside as well. Not all, but most trailers did the same thing. I asked why and it was because they did not want the extra heat coming from the dryer and oven into the house, There was still a cook stove in the house but my mom only used the stove top burners and normally used the outside stove oven when baking pies, bread etc. Kept the AC bills lower was the main reason that many do that and probably still do.

Modern fuel-injected engines and thinner lubes make cold starts a non-issue. If your car/truck gasser is not starting, you've allowed something untoward to happen and should not blame the lube or engine.

My cars(I own three 4.6L panthers and a 4-cyl Focus) all started just fine last week when it was -15F ambient. Each on dino 5w-20 from Rural King.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

We run into this all winter in the resturant repair business. Many of these chains that originate in California and florida do not change the design of the buildings placed in the midwest and then all the pipes freeze and bust.

Amazing to me that these buildings are not forced to be up to local code for such things...guess the authorities are mostly interested in getting the tax revenue from the business and let them do what they want.
I have a friend who is a civil engineer and he told me a story about a new chain business coming in that was planning to have a café with big windows so their customers could enjoy a nice view of the outside. My friend pointed out that the design their client came in with had a view of a busy intersection and suggested a simple reorientation of building that would give a more natural view as well as bring in more natural light, but this was not the standard design and was rejected. I stopped by the business after it opened and agreed that what they went with was completely stupid...you could sip your latte while watching drivers cut each other off and flash the bird.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Modern fuel-injected engines and thinner lubes make cold starts a non-issue. If your car/truck gasser is not starting, you've allowed something untoward to happen and should not blame the lube or engine.

My cars(I own three 4.6L panthers and a 4-cyl Focus) all started just fine last week when it was -15F ambient. Each on dino 5w-20 from Rural King.

-15F is -26C and your RK 5W20 is CCS tested at -30C like any 5WXX...you should be in good shape unless your battery is getting pretty frail. You seem like a guy who maintains his stuff well and is unlikely to drive with a marginal battery.
The OPer was at -29F/-34C, so a little below where 5WXX oils are tested. He could possibly have been just fine with a dino 5WXX, but using a 0WXX that is CCS tested down to -35C can only make a guy feel better about starting his car in a cold snap like that.
I knew it was supposed to be close to -30F where I ski and was eager to try out my synth 5W30 in that kind of temp, but I ended up being there the next night due to prior commitments and it only made it down to about -16F. Darn! One reason I picked the oil I'm using now is that it crushed the 5W30 CCS and MRV tests going by the PDS, would have used M1 0W30 AFE if the dexos1 Gen 2 version had showed up here in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back