Raybestos Brake Caliper Woes

Im trying to buy a new Raybestos LF caliper for my DTS. But every time I buy it, I get the wrong side caliper in the box. Instead of a driver caliper I get a passenger caliper in the box. This happened THREE times already

The part number is FRC11911N. All The descriptions and official Raybestos catalog says this is for the drivers side. The pictures show an “L” stamped on the caliper and a bleeder screw facing up.

Every time I order it. I get a caliper with an “R” stamped on it and a bleeder on the other side. And I saw on my car that passenger caliper has R stamped on it.

This happened twice at RockAuto and once from a different retailer. Clearly these are being misboxed from the factory. Luckily I got a full refund from the RockAuto ones. I’ll have to return the 3rd one too

I tried to contact Raybestos customer support, but their CS number is out of service. I filled out their online CS form, but heard back nothing. I did get a hold of some kind of support number, but the person wasn’t helpful.

What are my options? These calipers aren’t sold in stores. Locally I can get cardone reman calipers, but I’ve heard bad things about them. And they cost as much as this new one.

Should I try to get an AC Delco reman caliper from RockAuto?

The stupid thing is that someone just needs to double check the part in the box before shipping. But RockAuto has no customer support anymore. And the 3rd retailer said they can’t check the box. They’ll just offer a full refund if the caliper is wrong

That happened to me with a rear caliper for a Callahan (which actually comes in a Powerstop box with Powerstop part #)

They made it right, though, and shipped me the correct part when I complained. They even sent a call tag for the wrong one.

If the calipers are identical but just flipped and you're desperate...tap a new bleeder hole ;) The location is usually cast as a flat land or similar. Run some air thru the hose connection point afterward to blow chips out of the piston bore. BUT YEAH, you shouldn't have to do any of that as the customer.

I always change calipers in pairs. If you order a right and left side, I would bet you will get what you need.

Did you try the contact information from the web page "brakepartsinc.com" ? Also, Raybestos lists parts for a 8-stud rotor and a 5-stud rotor. Which do you have?

I once ordered a microphone cable from Amazon where the bag had right markings but the cable inside was incorrect (a male vs a female if I remember) and I kept doing returns and replacements. Gave up after 3 or 4.

I always change calipers in pairs. If you order a right and left side, I would bet you will get what you need.
I had the right caliper replaced a few years ago at a dealer under warranty. I guess i could buy the other side, but I don’t know if I can get a full refund if the part in the box is correct

Would an option for you be to get a caliper rebuild kit? You can also buy new slide pins etc. I bet this would all be under $20-25 and not hard at all to do.

Reactions: D60
Rock Auto has OE new calipers for your 2011 DTS. Use those instead :)

Be glad you can actually get OE new calipers because most cars don't have that option. You can't get OE new calipers for most cars, only reman, and many OE "remans" are "rebuilt" by Cardone. Most modern GM, Ford, and some Euro cars have OE new available, but that's about it.

Back