Ray Thomas of the Moody Blues: Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I "discovered" the Moody Blues when "Long Distance Voyager" came out when I was in high school. None of us had ever heard of them, and we were all wondering where this great group came from all of a sudden. Ah, the ignorance of youth, but it didn't take long to learn they'd been around a long time and had a deep back catlog. And through learning more about them I started discovering prog as a whole- I mean I already knew Genesis and Rush, but only the recent stuff (Genesis as a 3-piece). When the first Asia album came out a few years later, I saw these guys (Downes and Howe) who had been in a band called "Yes," and remembered that Patrick Moraz (who was in the Moodys in place of Pinder in the 80s) had been in Yes also, so I started checking out the Yes back catalog, and all the connections that led to (ELP, King Crimson, UK, and all the rest). And then it was just game on, and prog has been my favorite sub-genre of rock ever since.

I saw Aerosmith in Boston at the Music hall (IIRC) in 1976. I was surprised there was quite a "fog" of burning rope in there ...

I couldn't even hear the car horn after that show - and we were seated mid hall. Good show though!

I never thougt of MB as progressive. Just Rock - pop with a twist of classical.

Sort of like ELO but more serious.

I am a BIG YES fan of their older catalogue and of Chris Squires' stupendous bass playing and Steve Howes rockabilly-classical guitar fusion style. Yes "Starship Trooper" is on my top 10 songs of all time shortlist along with "You can Never Go home Anymore" from the Moodies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back