Rate this WiFi access point install quote

In-laws want better access throughout their Florida home. The house is 25 years old and lots of block construction. We tried the mesh system but it didn’t provide coverage throughout the house.

They got a quote from Best Buy for wired access points throughout and the guy said it would be a commercial quality system that won’t need upgrading for 10+ years.

I’m half tempted to find an installer and just buy the equipment myself.

House is mainly one level, U-shaped around a pool courtyard/outdoor living area of approx 3,000SF. About 7,500 SF is air conditioned. They can afford it but it feels like the Naples tax is in full effect.View attachment 191860
That is absolutely ridiculous.

The church had nine access points installed all over a very large church. All Unifi hardware. The cost to run all this CAT6 was $3000. Labor & the cable. The church supplied all the Unifi hardware.

I think the cost of the hardware is rip off high and is only Netgear which is consumer grade while Unifi is small to medium business grade. You can get all the Unifi hardware for $1000 to $1200.

If they are, and if they are using the correct ends for the cable and a good crimper, there should be no problem.

I've just seen so many incorrectly installed RJ45s (plugs designed for stranded cable used on solid cable being the most common issue)...unless I know for a fact that the person is trained to install them and is using correct materials...I'd rather a jack be installed. It is MUCH easier to install a jack correctly. There's no issue with getting the wrong kind of jack for the cable, they are all designed for solid cable.
Yes, the work I had done for the church had jacks installed at the remote end of all the cables. Then a 3' factory made patch cable to connect to the access point. All cables were verified with my Fluke cable analyzer. Wouldn't you know it the only thing that was bad was one brand new patch cable.

Yea, the 10 years for Netgear stuff is a fluff; maybe if it's only their 5-8 port unmanaged switch. You can get a Ubiquiti 8-port PoE switch for $100 and a 5-pack of the UAP-AC-PRO for another $650. Might as well get an Aruba InstantOn switches, at least these are enterprise switches with long firmware support.

EDIT: Did some quick research, did they explain why they're putting a Netgear S-line hardware in and two switches? It seems like the only bonus with the S-line is if you use their "savant power system." Otherwise they're getting hosed here too.

Last edited:
Yea, the 10 years for Netgear stuff is a fluff; maybe if it's only their 5-8 port unmanaged switch. You can get a Ubiquiti 8-port PoE switch for $100 and a 5-pack of the UAP-AC-PRO for another $650. Might as well get an Aruba InstantOn switches, at least these are enterprise switches with long firmware support.

EDIT: Did some quick research, did they explain why they're putting a Netgear S-line hardware in and two switches? It seems like the only bonus with the S-line is if you use their "savant power system." Otherwise they're getting hosed here too.

No explanation. I am only slightly more knowledgeable than them on this stuff so it’s nice getting some input from our diverse group here.

No explanation. I am only slightly more knowledgeable than them on this stuff so it’s nice getting some input from our diverse group here.
[/QUOTE

Managed everything is nice especially if from one vendor. The switches get expensive when you need a lot of POE power for many POE devices like access points. They may have gone to two switches for that reason.

Hope they are not using POE injectors. They are the poor man's way of doing POE.

From what I little I can find on the Netgear s-line, It looks like one of the switches in the quote is PoE. However, it looks like the s-line is only available from Netgear approved "savant-power" vendors, Best Buy being one of the few. IME, equipment like this is a PITA to get replacement parts for and impossible once they reach EOL.

The Netgear system requires a recurring paid subscription for its cloud managed features. It is not clear how much if any functionality remains active if the subscription runs out.

Besides the area to be covered, other important things to consider are the ISP speed and the number of users, and an overall expectation of the speed they need.

Have you try powerline ethernet (home plug av2) + mesh adapter to extend them? I would not think you need to spend 7k to wire ethernet throughout your house for that.

I'm no expert but it seems to me the first thing to try would be to wire the backhaul on the mesh system that was tried, seems like a router and 3-4 satellites with a wired backhaul should cover this.

As for the subscription based managed features, that's probably armor (a fire wall that includes bit defender) and parental controls... one of the few things i don't care for on the orbi, but the armor does work, haven't subscribed to the parental controls and there's no kids...

Edit: As for the quote - it seems insane, but ive never had something like that installed so maybe i'm the crazy one.

The mesh system they have would work fine if it had a wired backhaul, basically Ethernet run to each one. I use 5 Google WiFi mesh routers in a 1910 2600 SF home with center chimney and lathe walls which WiFi does not traveling thru.

Running Ethernet wiring was easy in my case though all connected to a $100 switch not $600 one.

From what I little I can find on the Netgear s-line, It looks like one of the switches in the quote is PoE. However, it looks like the s-line is only available from Netgear approved "savant-power" vendors, Best Buy being one of the few. IME, equipment like this is a PITA to get replacement parts for and impossible once they reach EOL.
"Netgear" and "Savant" in the same sentence has me rolling.

This has to be some sort of self-parody. This is a company whose entire product line has existed in the home and SMB space for forever, where it being plug and play and, critically, idiot proof, while reasonably reliable led to their success. The complete opposite approach from Enterprise-down companies like Cisco and Juniper where you have to actually learn their CLI languages to program their equipment.

• Haha
Reactions: Pew

If I was building this system on a tight budget, I'd just do the whole thing with InstantOn. Switch and AP's and use the ISP's gateway.

• Love
Reactions: Pew
Ask the company if they will be testing each installed cable using a cable analyzer or verifier. A meter that drives the cable at various speeds and measures if it meet specs. Not a $50 or $75 meter that just verifies that there is continuity on 8 wires and are they connected to the proper pins.

If they don't have a meter like the one I mentioned then move on to a company that knows what they are doing.

Ask if they have a heat map of the house which shows how the access points will work.

Figured I’d report back with an update. They had a few people look at it and ended up with 6 Eero Max 7 mesh access points. They also upped their WiFi speed to fiber ($300 one time install charge from their provider). The Eero system works great all over the house and I believe they are all wireless except one or two. I’m not sure if the fiber upgrade is what made the difference or not but it was a lot less than $8,000.

In-laws want better access throughout their Florida home. The house is 25 years old and lots of block construction. We tried the mesh system but it didn’t provide coverage throughout the house.

They got a quote from Best Buy for wired access points throughout and the guy said it would be a commercial quality system that won’t need upgrading for 10+ years.

I’m half tempted to find an installer and just buy the equipment myself.

House is mainly one level, U-shaped around a pool courtyard/outdoor living area of approx 3,000SF. About 7,500 SF is air conditioned. They can afford it but it feels like the Naples tax is in full effect.View attachment 191860
My thoughts are I suspect they dont really care about costs.
With that said, if they do, it looks like you can buy the equipment for about half the cost Best Buy is charging but that kind of goes with the territory.
I didnt spend more than five minutes on it but this the website, you can then search google for the devices by sometimes using just the device name and or matching up part numbers. They are using commercial stuff so you have to work at it a little bit but it's there.
Ex. the Multi gig switch can be found for around $250. S-Line Access point for under $300; 1000 feet of Cat 6e cable is under $150 ect

and now that I just did all that, I see the issue was solved weeks ago 😖

Back