Rate this WiFi access point install quote

In-laws want better access throughout their Florida home. The house is 25 years old and lots of block construction. We tried the mesh system but it didn’t provide coverage throughout the house.

They got a quote from Best Buy for wired access points throughout and the guy said it would be a commercial quality system that won’t need upgrading for 10+ years.

I’m half tempted to find an installer and just buy the equipment myself.

House is mainly one level, U-shaped around a pool courtyard/outdoor living area of approx 3,000SF. About 7,500 SF is air conditioned. They can afford it but it feels like the Naples tax is in full effect.
IMG_4908.jpeg

You might already be aware of a MoCA system. I read about this several years back but I did not pursue it. Just offering an option. It may not fit your needs.
Best of luck

Why do they need wired internet? I have a Verizon FIOS router with my main desktop computer plugged in. I can use my laptop anywhere in the house or driveway.

The access points are wired. You connect to them wirelessly with your device.

Why do they need wired internet? I have a Verizon FIOS router with my main desktop computer plugged in. I can use my laptop anywhere in the house or driveway.
Because, as was stated in the original post, a series of WiFi routers did not work in their house.

Perhaps your clever observation about your house and your router does not apply to a single story cinder block house.

Because, as was stated in the original post, a series of WiFi routers did not work in their house.

Perhaps your clever observation about your house and your router does not apply to a single story cinder block house.
My house is 3 levels, 4 if you count the basement, and should be even harder for WiFi yet it works. Go figure.

What a quote.... The rich areas definitely get a price hike from contractors just because they can so if you actually know how to do all that tech stuff I'd do it. I couldn't so I'd just get more quotes.

In-laws want better access throughout their Florida home. The house is 25 years old and lots of block construction. We tried the mesh system but it didn’t provide coverage throughout the house.

They got a quote from Best Buy for wired access points throughout and the guy said it would be a commercial quality system that won’t need upgrading for 10+ years.

I’m half tempted to find an installer and just buy the equipment myself.

House is mainly one level, U-shaped around a pool courtyard/outdoor living area of approx 3,000SF. About 7,500 SF is air conditioned. They can afford it but it feels like the Naples tax is in full effect.View attachment 191860
That's beyond insanity for a quote. Have they tried a newer wireless router ie simultaneous dual-band? Or a wireless access point?

They’re definitely over charging for those access points. On netgears site the WAX630 access points are $350-$390.

Can’t find the SS108MP ”multi gig switch” online, but a GS108 PoE gigabit switch is $160. The other stuff cross references to similar part numbers but I can’t find the exact ones.

They’re definitely over charging for those access points. On netgears site the WAX630 access points are $350-$390.

Can’t find the SS108MP ”multi gig switch” online, but a GS108 PoE gigabit switch is $160. The other stuff cross references to similar part numbers but I can’t find the exact ones.

Yeah I saw that too. I wasn’t sure if they marked them up for an installed price and then tack on the $2,500 for custom install and programming due to it being more difficult or if that $2,500 was the installed price.

I’ll at least have them get another quote or two from some low voltage installers.

I’d love to buy the stuff for $2,000 and throw $1,500 cash to a guy for a day’s labor.

My thoughts are 5.8ghz is going to be totally useless in that environment. Probably why the mesh system was a no go.

I don't know what the attic looks like but if it was me I would put the access points in the attic as high as possible so they are broadcasting down to the rooms instead of trying to shoot through the walls. You might actually get the mesh system to work if its placed in the attic and there is line of sight between the access points.

My thoughts are 5.8ghz is going to be totally useless in that environment. Probably why the mesh system was a no go.

I don't know what the attic looks like but if it was me I would put the access points in the attic as high as possible so they are broadcasting down to the rooms instead of trying to shoot through the walls. You might actually get the mesh system to work if its placed in the attic and there is line of sight between the access points.

I’d considered the access points up high but there’s no outlets that I know of in the attic space. Guess I could buy a few hundred feet of extension cords and try. I’m also not sure how long they’d live up there in the Florida heat and humidity. There are 12-24’ ceilings so the height would likely really help spread the signal.

Back