Rat: Trap or Poison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with the trap. That way you know where it is. Poison, it may eat, hide somewhere, and stink for weeks while it rots. Plus flies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
D-Con works REALLY well...... for making green rat turds.

This is the best trap:

I made one. The ants ate the peanut butter before the rats found it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I do not use poison. The critter can get into a wall and die. Then you have 3 months of smelling rotten rat.

Had this happen before, and it took like six weeks before the smell even subsided.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups is the best bait I have ever used. Work a chunk between my fingers till it softens up, and then mold it around the trap bait holder.

Get a trap. Poison works great but if it dies in your wall or somewhere you cant get too, you will have a dead rat smell for quite a while.

One of the problems with using poison is that rats and mice reproduce so quickly that they gain immunity to the poison very quickly. Most modern rat poison is an anti coagulant similar to warfarin sodium (Coumadin) some folks take for blot clots. That being said, when I had rats in my attic in Dallas I first went to a DIY pest control place I found on google and the recommended using 2 different types of bait/poison. The next thing the guys told me is that its very important to clean up the area where you find droppings and remove any and all sources of food, that way they will go after the bait. I would do a bit of research from credible sources first then decide which approach is best, traps, bait, or maybe a combination of both.

Traps first, order anticoagulant bait online. The EPA banned most anticoagulants from consumer use except for D-Con. Start filling in places where rats can enter. Maybe get a cat afterwards.

The newer baits sold for consumer use are deadly toxic to pets - there is no antidote for bromethalin since it stops the process that cells use to get energy. A vet can put a cat or dog on high IV doses of vitamin K for anticoagulant poisoning, if one eats a bromethalin-poisoned rodent or bait it's a certain death certificate.

Now, if you want to go HAM on the rats(you can order pro-grade bait, Liqui-Tox and bait stations online)...

Originally Posted By: Chris142

This is the best trap:

I made one. The ants ate the peanut butter before the rats found it.

Heartless [censored]

Rats are intelligent and make good pets - you dirty disease spreading pestilent human animal you!
Yes you are an animal!
Try to make a pet out of him/her instead of being a murderer.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I saw the title and thought this was a thread about 80's glam metal bands!

crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

I'd try a trap with peanut butter. If you poison them, they'll die behind walls where you can't retrieve them, and they'll STINK.

Haven't caught a rat with these, but have trapped hundreds of mice with the mouse size. I did trap a ground squirrel with that rat trap, so they do work great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AH3DNS/ref...la-319048174454

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Rats are intelligent and make good pets - you dirty disease spreading pestilent human animal you!
Yes you are an animal!
Try to make a pet out of him/her instead of being a murderer.

They will chew trough concrete, cement, brick, cement with glass bits.

This is my mom's experience after 30 years as a grocery store clerk.

Of course she did not like it (based on ^^^) when i brought one home by the tail......

I have lived on a farm most of my life.. the cats get most of whatever vermin lurks at night but on occasion i have found them in sheds and barns.

I have the most success with glue traps.

I have also caught a snake and a mouse at the same time on a larger rat glue trap.

I put a little bit of peanut butter in the center along with a few grains of birdseed..they cant resist.

This is the best trap:

The most reliable trap I've used is the good ole victor woodie. But I'm gonna make myself a bucket trap after watching this video. I did'nt think they could smell that good

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The bucket trap clearly works, but i think its inhumane. I would use snap traps.

Someone called it murder so don’t use water and ship them to him
(Or release deep in the woods or even the Everglades
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Need Homo sapien traps. To many of them ruining the earth.

[off-topic]
If you think you have it tough here in old US, how do you think they have it in countries where $100 is considered a big amount/wealth per month?
Hint, I grew up from parents who had to deal with both nazis and then soviets.
[/off-topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back