Radiator Hose Clamps

What radiator hose clamps everyone using other than worm gear type clamps for coolant hoses?

Seems my cars have the tension kind. I think they are weakened when kept open while doing a job (I had a leak when reusing and putting the clamp in the exact same position based on an indentation in the hose).

Over the years I've noticed any worm type clamp, the screw part gets rusty after a few years. When I had my boat, I used to buy the marine stainless clamps. If I had a stubborn leak or weep, I used a bit of rubber cement under the hoes end, that I bought at the local auto parts store.,,

I use worm gear clamps when replacing coolant hoses. I haven't had a problem yet. I do retighten them the next day after a heat cycle.

Just my $0.02

I have a strong preference for the tension style hose clamp, that most cars have these days.

To me, the worm gear hose clamp is very old technology. Although the strap may be stainless steel, the screw and clamp housing typically are not, and rust. Correct tensioning of worm gear hose clamps can be difficult, and they are easily over tensioned, leading to hose damage. Worm gear hose clamps are slower to install and remove. And I'm not too keen on the tail that sticks out there. Regardless of how you try to orient them, the tail always seems to be in the way when working on a car, and inevitably leads to injury to wrists and arms.

Tension clamps can be removed and installed in seconds, assuming you have the right tool. Admittedly, they can be frustrating to install and remove if you don't have the right tools.

Last edited:
I use constant tension clamps on the Asian cars and motorbikes; worm gear on the Camaro (tightened/retightened 15 in-lb).

I actually prefer the spring tension. Makes sense to me that they can expand and contract with heat, rather than cutting into a hose. That said, they do seem to weaken with time but I don't see this as a huge problem. I do try to hoarde them if parting a vehicle.

I agree worm drive is kinda old tech, but they've got some die hard fans.

Constant tension clams for coolant hoses. As the rubber hose compresses over time., the clamp keep the tension the same. With screw clamps, you will have to tighten the clamps in small increments ever so often. I like screw clamps on rigid ducts and tubes.

Constant tension clamps are the best to use since they self adjust during thermocycles and don't need to be retorqued also you can't over tighten them like a worm clamp and crack plastic. The point made about the "tail" sticking out - yes I have cut myself in them as well!

I have a strong preference for the tension style hose clamp, that most cars have these days.

To me, the worm gear hose clamp is very old technology. Although the strap may be stainless steel, the screw and clamp housing typically are not, and rust. Correct tensioning of worm gear hose clamps can be difficult, and they are easily over tensioned, leading to hose damage. Worm gear hose clamps are slower to install and remove. And I'm not too keen on the tail that sticks out there. Regardless of how you try to orient them, the tail always seems to be in the way when working on a car, and inevitably leads to injury to wrists and arms.

Tension clamps can be removed and installed in seconds, assuming you have the right tool. Admittedly, they can be frustrating to install and remove if you don't have the right tools.
There are constant tension hose clamps that you can remove with pliers or Channel Locks. And other constant tension hose clamps that are similar to a SS worm gear clamp but more advanced. They need a nut driver or screwdriver to install or remove.

Back