Quiet A/T tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to my local tire guy and we had a chat he said it's a toss up on quietness between the Toyo Open Country A/T2 and the Firestone Destination A/T he carries both $140.00 each for either tire in 245/75/16. I looked at both they both look like a well made tire he said the Firestones are a bit better in the rain but the Toyo's are a bit better in the snow. He said Toyo has come a long way as a company they have excellent quality control and he rearly has a bad tire from them and the same goes for Firestone.

I am going to check out the Cooper A/T3 tomorrow from another dealer.

On my F150 I replaced Michelin LTX M/S2 with Yokohama Geolander AT G015. 6k miles on the Geos and the have been great on highways, thunderstorms, and dirt roads. As quiet as the LTXs and better traction on dirt roads. Haven't had a chance to see them in winter yet but, they have 3 peak/snowflake rating.

Contrary to popular belief, highway tires work better in snow than most A/T tires. But, winter tires are PRICLESS!

Would love to see an actual test backing the last post up...

Note you can find several AT tires that carry the severe snow service rating.

And yes, a dedicated snow tire will be better than an AT tire with the severe snow rating, but in terms of industry testing if an all season highway tire could get this rating you'd think they would be all over it...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Would love to see an actual test backing the last post up...

Note you can find several AT tires that carry the severe snow service rating.

And yes, a dedicated snow tire will be better than an AT tire with the severe snow rating, but in terms of industry testing if an all season highway tire could get this rating you'd think they would be all over it...

A highway tire like the Michelin LTX M/S2 ot the Defender LTX M/S that replaced it may well pass the traction requirements of a severe snow tire. However that's only a part of the certification. Tread void area is also a requirement for the severe snow rating and would prevent most highway tires from qualifying. In my personal experiences I've found the LTX M/S to be superior on hard packed snow or ice and dry shallow snow over hard pack compared to a BFG AT that is a severe snow rated tire. The BFG excels in deeper snow or in wet sloppy snow and slush due to the larger voids.

I have the Alanza+ and they're alright, little hum til the wind noise takes over, but have fond memories of LTX's on the Highlander that's a good tire right to the bitter end.

Last edited:
There are void requirements for tires that carry the M+S rating - which both of the Michelin tires mentioned carry. That is not why they do not carry the severe snow rating.

They do not carry the rating because the manufacturer has either decided not to brand the tires so (it is an optional and not required marking) or the tires cannot pass the performance testing which is required for all tires that want to display the severe snow rating.

You can bet that if they could pass the testing, Michelin would mark them accordingly.

Not a knock on the Michelin tires cited and it is true that the severe snow rating has pretty specific requirements on snow type that may not reflect all snow and ice conditions.

But they do meet the void requirements previously cited - that is not the reason highway tires cannot carry the severe snow rating.

So again, if anyone can provide testing that shows a highway tire makes a better snow tire than an all terrain tire, particularly one carrying the severe snow rating, I'm all ears...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
There are void requirements for tires that carry the M+S rating - which both of the Michelin tires mentioned carry. That is not why they do not carry the severe snow rating.

They do not carry the rating because the manufacturer has either decided not to brand the tires so (it is an optional and not required marking) or the tires cannot pass the performance testing which is required for all tires that want to display the severe snow rating.

You can bet that if they could pass the testing, Michelin would mark them accordingly.

Not a knock on the Michelin tires cited and it is true that the severe snow rating has pretty specific requirements on snow type that may not reflect all snow and ice conditions.

But they do meet the void requirements previously cited - that is not the reason highway tires cannot carry the severe snow rating.

So again, if anyone can provide testing that shows a highway tire makes a better snow tire than an all terrain tire, particularly one carrying the severe snow rating, I'm all ears...

You're correct I was confusing the void requirement of the M+S rating with that also being a requirement for the Severe Snow Rating. Good catch!

Had the Cooper AT3's mounted on the Trailblazer today. They're pretty quiet on the highway, I got it up to 90 for a second and all I could hear was wind noise. Around 70 there's a slight hum but really not noticeable. Nice and smooth, no vibrations.

However, they are a little rough over bumps. Imperfections in the road are a lot more noticeable than the Continentals that came off or the previous set of Michelins.

I've been impressed with the Falken AT3w's on my Tundra so far. Have had them on for approx 11k miles and took them through a Northern New England Winter with no complaints.
Nice aggressive look and reasonably priced through Discount Tire Direct.

Smooth and quiet for my 90 mile round trip highway commute as I'm now driving the truck daily.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
BFG KO2. Great all around tire and not as heavy as a lot, namely Falken. Weight is a big deal that most ignore. It affects ride, MPG and power.

but not noise.. and the OP asked for quiet tire suggestions.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Look no further than the Michelin LTX A/T2.

We might have a winner if they have it in the size you need. Also I wouldn't consider the BFG KO2 "noisy" Not the quietest but ride nice and quiet enough for a truck or suv.Pathfinder 4x4 isn't the smoothest or quietest anyway. My opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
Have a sent of Goodyear All Terrain Adventures on a work truck. Decent all around tire and quiet for an all terrain. Have the snowflake symbol too.

+1 on these Goodyear A/T Adventure w/Kevlar. I've had these on for a couple of weeks and they have been excellent. Much quieter and confident tire than the Yokohama Geolandars that came off of my 4Runner. Can't wait to see how they do in the Vermont snow (before I put on my Michelin X-Ices).

General has a new "all purpose terrain" tire, the Grabber APT. They claim it is quiet.

http://generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-apt

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/2017...terrain-lt-tire

Quote:
Continental Tire the Americas L.L.C. has introduced the General Grabber APT, an all-purpose-terrain tire designed specifically for on-road, off-road and snow performance….

"We think this new Grabber APT will be a popular tire for those drivers looking for a tire that is mostly driven on the road during the week but can hold its own during weekend adventures," said Travis Roffler, General Tire's director of marketing. "It offers the best of both worlds with very strong on-road manners but still enough off-road capability to get the job done."

The tire features Comfort Balance Technology which provides a cushioned tread that absorbs road disturbances for a more comfortable ride; grooves in the tread that angle away from the center grooves to help dissipate sound which provides a quiet ride; StabiliTread Technology to promote even wear and longer tread life via even pressure distribution and a robust tread compound; and DuraGen Technology that offers high strength construction for durability in off-road situations and delivers cut-and-chip performance on rough surfaces.

Last edited:
I've had 4 sets of Nitto Terragrapplers between my Liberty and LR3, very quiet on road. Great in the snow too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back