Quick set two part epoxy glue vs long set

I just used some JB weld marine epoxy to fix a Christmas Ornament. It took overnight to set. It’s definitely overkill but for higher strength applications do the Bittoggers find an advantage in strength using a long set epoxy over a quick set one? What’s your opinion? :unsure:

The JB Marine Weld sets in 4-6 hours and cures in 15-24 hours. I would assume it’s higher strength than a quick set product. Crappy focus, I know.

597F48BA-3A6D-4451-ADEB-754F1BFB8AA2.jpeg

I prefer epoxy for everything that needs to be glued. I dont glue much but epoxy is the only thing I use and now the wife too! *LOL*

If I have a choice I rather the long cure if I can be sure of keeping whatever I am gluing in place while it cures. Yes, longer cure = stronger, Im sure that still holds true and not sure if technology changed that. I just dont know anymore but its getting hard to find long cure.
I mean, look at the stuff dentists use, it's like, seconds. *LOL*

With the above said, only a month or two back the ONLY epoxy I could find was quick cure in stores. The marketing plastered on the front of the packages, 5 minute hold times, stuff like that. I couldn't find the old fashion slow stuff as I was intentionally looking for it in this one case as it was a critical part in a wood dresser draw slide component.

I rarely have a lot of luck with 5 minute epoxy of any variety, and I would extend that to a lot of quick set epoxies. If I'm going to bother to epoxy it, I can wait for a 24 hour to set...

I just repaired a glass ornament one of my cats snagged off the tree with clear UV cure resin. Would have to see your ornament to be able to advise. Plus this will cause a moderator to again get delete-happy.

Santa busted his legs at the top of his boots, including a bad fracture in one leg. I used Super Glue to get him standing then reinforced his legs to the top of his boots with JB Weld. Enjoy.

06D18902-BEA9-4D00-8E20-B605AAC1B3E6.jpeg
07F41FBA-1758-44B2-9D75-E9FAD1542726.jpeg

Back