Questionable label on Walmart battery

A pal's 5-6 year old OE battery died. On Monday (16 Nov.) we visited the battery racks at the Ticonderoga, NY Walmart.
One was sporting this sticker. Seemed 2 weeks early.
In a previous thread here someone reported that these are applied by store employees.
My pal felt good about the "11/20" sticker on the $54 24F he bought so I'm not going to tell him.
1605879673561.png

I talked to someone at East Penn about that kind of sticker that seemed to be ahead of its time. I assume the battery in question was an East Penn since you are not far from me. The guy said it had to do with production scheduling but in some cases it ends up being slightly ahead. (Or maybe they ran out of "11/20" stickers.) I thought his response sounded odd. But I don't own the company.

In a previous thread here someone reported that these are applied by store employees.

I'm now wondering if those stickers are put on there strictly for warranty purposes, that is, customers can return them and be allowed (or denied) if they don't have a receipt. It really makes no sense that the manufacturer would use such an easily-removable sticker.

There may be a second stamped in mfg date with coding. I would think the manufacturer would want more than the MMYY to track down quality problems using a MFG date, But they have a serial number also that starts with EP. They may keep track of exact manufacturing date/time via the serial number.

A pal's 5-6 year old OE battery died. On Monday (16 Nov.) we visited the battery racks at the Ticonderoga, NY Walmart.
My pal felt good about the "11/20" sticker on the $54 24F he bought so I'm not going to tell him.
View attachment 34559
That was me. Test the battery before install and see what the SOC is. Mine was only 12.2 and the sticker was 11/20.....from S. Korea.

The stickers are often irrelevant. I was told by a Walmart worker that the stickers get replaced every time they do an inventory of the batteries, which is frequently.

They may keep track of exact manufacturing date/time via the serial number.
They definitely aren't using those cheap, round stickers for tracing. I still think WM applies them, not the manufacturer, and may be for stock rotation purposes as much as anything.

and the sticker was 11/20.....from S. Korea.
They definitely aren't shipping batteries from S Korea in 1 to 1-1/2 weeks. It's possible but not happening.... From S Korea to a WM store shelf, 6 weeks would be pushing it.

I have always been told that was the date of manufacturer so I would be extremely angry lol. The guy at the parts store told me it was the date of manufacturer. But know I now that they are put on by the employees.

View attachment 34559
I always take a voltmeter along when battery shopping. Very often the battery with the highest voltage is one with an earlier date
View attachment 34559
I always take a voltmeter along when I go battery shopping. Often the battery with the most recent date has a substantially lower voltage than one with an older date. Best policy is to disregard the date label and depend on your voltmeter

Last December I was standing outside a WM service bay talking to the tech who was installing Black Friday Goodyears on my Silverado. I noticed a RUAN 18 wheeler back up near the shop and the driver unloaded his electric pallet jack. He delivered 4 or 5 battery pallets to a storage room not far from where I was standing. As he passed by, I could see the batteries had their stickers and looked ready to sell.

At no point did I see ANY Walmart employees go anywhere near the truck.

I dont believe the store employees are putting on or changing any stickers. I have seen some batteries with 4 mo old stickers. I think the stickers are put on at time of manufacturing but not necessarily for the month they were really made but for the following month. Always take a meter with you and dont buy a battery under 12.6v

It actually works in your favor if you should need to return the battery to walmart without having the original receipt.
Nonsense. First off, nobody does a battery warranty replacement these days without a receipt. Second, if they can look up your purchase by name and address or credit card number, they will warranty it based on the purchase date. Otherwise, anybody could get a 5 year old scrap Walmart battery for $10, slap on one of those stickers and walk out with a brand new battery.

I've bought two Everstart Maxx batteries in the last two years (for different cars) and you had to "register" the serial number at check out before you paid for your battery...perhaps your Walmart is different?...

Bill

Nonsense. First off, nobody does a battery warranty replacement these days without a receipt. Second, if they can look up your purchase by name and address or credit card number, they will warranty it based on the purchase date. Otherwise, anybody could get a 5 year old scrap Walmart battery for $10, slap on one of those stickers and walk out with a brand new battery.
I've returned an Everstart battery to a walmart for a new one based entirely on the sticker since I did not save the receipt. It's Walmart's policy (or was around 2015 when I did this).

Back