Question on Auto Trans?

I've been driving MT ever since since I learned how to drive. My first car with an auto is my 2018 Jaguar which has a ZF Trans (MT not optional in USA models).
1) OK, here's the confusion. When in a "slope"angle road I'm in Drive gear, foot on the Brake pedal, when the light goes Green I take off my foot on the gas pedal, why does it not go backwards, instead it remain steady until I hit the gas?
2) Also, can I use the Park gear alone without the Hand brake even if the road is not level (slightly sloping) with engine running even for 20 secs (like checking my mail on the mail box)?
3)Someone told me, I have to put the car from Drive gear to Neutral put the Hand brake on and put it on Park and turn engine off. Does this apply to ZF Trans?
Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited:
The torque converter applies some torque to the wheels when at idle. That's why you have to hold it back with the brake when idling in gear on level ground or it will move forward. If on an up slope the idle torque could be offset exactly, holding the vehicle in place.

If parking on level ground you don't have to apply the hand brake but it's a good idea any way. It's only a small piece of metal holding the vehicle in place. If on any slope you should always apply the hand brake

I've been driving MT ever since since I learned how to drive. My first car with an auto is my 2018 Jaguar which has a ZF Trans (MT not optional in USA models).
1) OK, here's the confusion. When in a "slope"angle road I'm in Drive gear, foot on the Brake pedal, when the light goes Green I take off my foot on the gas pedal, why does it not go backwards, instead it remain steady until I hit the gas?
2) Also, can I use the Park gear alone without the Hand brake even if the road is not level (slightly sloping) with engine running even for 20 secs (like checking my mail on the mail box)?
3)Someone told me, I have to put the car from Drive gear to Neutral put the Hand brake on and put it on Park and turn engine off. Does this apply to ZF Trans?
My vehicle has a feature that holds on a hill. I assume the ECU senses the potential to roll backward while in drive and “locks” the trans.
Always apply the park brake first before shifting into Park on a slope. Likewise put the transmission into gear before releasing the park brake.
Exiting a vehicle while it is running is never a good idea.

Anti-rollback is probably a feature of your car. You can find it in the owners manual.
It's common on BMWs and MB, so likely on a higher end vehicle like Jag.
When the wheel sensors signal that the car is rolling back and the gear is in drive, the ECU applies brakes to hold it until you step on the gas.
Some are designed to hold the brake until you step on the gas when it senses an incline and you've been stopped with foot on brake.
It's in the owner's manual.

The signals from the car's wheel speed sensors goes to the ABS system. The ABS system then sends speed data from one of the wheel speed sensors so that the speedometer. The car also have various acceleration sensors. So, when you're stopped on a hill with the brake engaged the ABS system won't release the brakes even if you stop pressing the brake pedal. It releases the brakes when you press the gas pedal.

1. hill holding ability feature built into tranny.
2. main point of using the parking brake ( even though most don't) is the park feature in a tranny is basically a little pin... otherwise neutral.. so if someone rear ended your parked car while the parking brake isn't set, it may break the locking pin and go rolling down the road.. and hill loading when parked can make it difficult to take from Park to Drive.
3. that is the best way...

OK So now we're in the part of the thread where 42 people repeat over 8 pages what has already been said. Tells you who posts without reading.

1) that is how they work. There is still some torque from even an idling engine. Edit: some very good points about more modern cars having roll control using ABS system.

2) you can but it’s a bad idea. Google Anton Yelchin - that’s what he did with his Jeep.

3) setting the parking brake first and then selecting park on the transmission minimizes strain on the parking pawl inside the transmission. It’s rare that they break but avoiding strain minimizes the chance.

Last edited:
OK So now we're in the part of the thread where 42 people repeat over 8 pages what has already been said. Tells you who posts without reading.
So, if there is one correct response the rest of us shouldn’t reply?

I’ve seen you answer questions that have already been answered, too.

So what?

If we followed your “guidance” would you be complaining that no one actually answered the OP question?

Back