Quaker State Ultimate 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I ran QSUD 5w30 in my 2010 F150 (4.6 3v engine). I never had any problems at all, however I noticed after about 50K miles, the dipstick turning like a varnish yellow/brown color. At 105,000 miles I had a lifter fail & had to be replaced. When I removed the valve covers, all the metal components were stained that yellow/brown varnish color which I found to be strange. I convinced my buddy to pull the valve cover of his Honda Civic which he used the 5w20 QSUD & had 140,000 miles on his engine. His was stained the same yellowish brown varnish color. You could scrape half of it off with your fingernail, some wouldn't come off. I haven't used it since. If there was that much discoloration & deposit in the top of the head, I can imagine what the valve & piston deposits looked like.
Fasttimez Just wondering I use QSUD 5w30 and am on my second oil change. At what mileage do you change out the oil? I thought QSUD was a good cleaning oil or is the varnish normal with any oil. Have you switched over to another oil.

Originally Posted By: littleant
I ran QSUD 5w30 in my 2010 F150 (4.6 3v engine). I never had any problems at all, however I noticed after about 50K miles, the dipstick turning like a varnish yellow/brown color. At 105,000 miles I had a lifter fail & had to be replaced. When I removed the valve covers, all the metal components were stained that yellow/brown varnish color which I found to be strange. I convinced my buddy to pull the valve cover of his Honda Civic which he used the 5w20 QSUD & had 140,000 miles on his engine. His was stained the same yellowish brown varnish color. You could scrape half of it off with your fingernail, some wouldn't come off. I haven't used it since. If there was that much discoloration & deposit in the top of the head, I can imagine what the valve & piston deposits looked like.
Fasttimez Just wondering I use QSUD 5w30 and am on my second oil change. At what mileage do you change out the oil? I thought QSUD was a good cleaning oil or is the varnish normal with any oil. Have you switched over to another oil.

I changed my oil every 5,000 miles. The only time I've ever seen the varnish like substance is in older vehicles that don't change their oils regularly, or using a cheap knock off brand oil. I was shocked to see it actually. Like I stated, I never had any issues with my engine (except the lifter, but that could be age related), so it's hard to say why it happened. I now use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my 2017 F150 5.0, I dropped the factory fill at 500 miles & refilled with Royal Purple HPS 5w30 for the added ZDDP for the initial run in charge. I changed it at 5,000 miles & refilled with what I'm going to stick with in Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I use a Mobil 1 EP oil filter, I plan on changing my oil every 5,000 miles as I always have. The EP filter & PP oil is probably overkill for a 5,000 OC interval, but it makes me sleep better.....HaHa

Boy I'd sure like to see those pictures!

Fasttimez let us know if the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 cleans up the varnish.

I was under the impression that there is no oil that will actually clean up varnish after it has been baked on the engine.

Fasttimez let us know if the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 cleans up the varnish.

That was my 2010 F150, it's gone & I have my 2017 F150. That's the one I was saying I run PP oil in now.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Boy I'd sure like to see those pictures!

I was told that a faulty PVC system could cause the golden varnish buildup. Im not blaming the oil, just saying what my experience was, along with my buddies Honda engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back