Quaker State UD 5w-30, 7100 miles, 2012 Cruze 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results from a 7100 mile run on QSUD 5w-30 SN/GF-5/dexos1 in my 2012 Cruze Eco 1.4T. The OLM indicated roughly 30% life left. The car had about 11k miles on it at the time of the sample. I pulled it halfway through the change when sucking it out with my MityVac. Most of the miles are highway miles. I have a longish commute, so the oil gets a chance to heat up nicely most days of the week.

The left column is my car, the right are the universal averages.

Code:
OIL Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30

MILES IN USE 7100

MILES 11000

SAMPLE TAKEN 1/20/2012

ALUMINUM 10 5

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 27 16

COPPER 19 12

LEAD 2 3

TIN 1 1

MOLYBDENUM 45 70

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 2

BORON 9 30

SILICON 10 15

SODIUM 8 43

CALCIUM 1947 1998

MAGNESIUM 116 147

PHOSPHORUS 678 701

ZINC 652 785

BARIUM 1 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 410

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.6

cSt @ 212ºF 9.24

TBN 2.7

I'm planning on running the current fill of dexos1 QSUD 5w-30 until the OLM tells me to change. That should be about 9500-10k miles with my driving habits.

Thoughts?

Those wear numbers look great. I would run 10K in that car easily, only concern is that the engine is still so new, I would personally wait till the warranty period is out before doing long OCI's. What is your average MPG so far (Looking at a cruze/focus in the future)?

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Those wear numbers look great. I would run 10K in that car easily, only concern is that the engine is still so new, I would personally wait till the warranty period is out before doing long OCI's. What is your average MPG so far (Looking at a cruze/focus in the future)?

If the 10k interval is indicated by my OLM, I'll run it. The manual says change when indicated by the OLM, and that'll keep warranty.

Average MPG so far is 42 mpg (EPA highway) in mostly rural 2-lane highway driving.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I would say very respectable for such a young engine! Looks good, thanx!

With TBN at 2.7 do you think there will be much left after another 4k miles?

The OLM was shooting for 10k miles. With the TBN at 2.7, I'd guess it could go another 2000-2500 miles. That would have put me at less than 10% on my OLM at 9100-9600 miles on the oil change. That's not quite 4000 miles, but still, a 9000 mile OCI with respectable wear numbers is nothing to sneeze at.

Blackstone said it might be residual break-in wear. The car had about 11,000 miles on it at the time of the sample. That oil change was run from about 4000 miles to right around 11k miles, or when the engine was finishing up break-in. I'm not concerned yet since it was the first UOA on a new-ish engine.

Not bad. SOPUS formulates good oil. QS and Pennzoil are good quality.

VERY nice! Love the FP and TBN.

For such a new engine it will ONLY get better. The numbers will drop, the TBN will increase IMO.

Excellent combo IMO. Add that it is a Turbo and I'm very impressed.

I'd have NO PROBLEM following the OLM here.
01.gif

Thanks for posting!

Bill

Welcome!

I believe I've found my oil for this car based on this and other UOA's of QSUD. It's the cheapest dexos1 oil I know about and is showing that in my car with my driving style it can go the distance indicated on the OLM.

Ecotecs are great for running long intervals, push it to the MAX every time MAAAN!
wink.gif

Seriously though, she will keep on beating no matter the interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back