QSUD & Magnatec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Looks like QSUD ($17.xx) and Magnatec ($19.xx) per 5 qrt. jug are now everyday prices at WM (or have been on "roll back" at WM for longer than any oil I can remember?
I bought jugs of each in 5W30 to try in my Hyundai GDI 2.4L fuel diluter , soot creating 4 cylinder which I can only realistically run for 4K to 5K mile OCI's in mostly large city suburban driving .
Both a D1/Gen 2 rated and with the only differences being a shot of titanium in the Magnatec add pack along with "clinging" oil molecules while the QSUD (according to 540 RAT) has superior lubrication to just about any synthetic oil tested ... Probably just a case of picking which ever one you fancy best for a OCI of <5K miles in a GDI engine ?

Last edited:
I've run both in my 2017 Elantra with no discernible difference between the two. I don't believe the "intelligent molecules" or couple ppm of titanium offer anything above and beyond what QSUD will do for your engine. You can purchase by price or by marketing, or you could just close your eyes and grab one of the two and be in great shape for your next OCI.

Give Magnatec a try. You will like it or at worst, not notice a difference, making your latter oil purchases easy. Coating action should last a few OCI's.

At a 4 to 5K OCI you could save a few bucks and go with ST syn. which is currently $14.37 for the 5qt. jug on 'Rollback'.
I'm sure any one of the three would serve you well at that short OCI.

Used both, like both. Will probably use both again. May eventually try out Castrol Edge or one of the many M1 or Valvoline flavors just for grins, but I believe most d1g2 formulations can be used with a high degree of confidence.

Originally Posted by pbm
At a 4 to 5K OCI you could save a few bucks and go with ST syn. which is currently $14.37 for the 5qt. jug on 'Rollback'.

OP this 👆...but if for some reason you're averse to using house oil, either QSUD or Magnatec will do just fine for your oci ("on paper" at least). If you wanted I higher degree of confidence in your choice, you could do a basic UOA after running one to (con)firm up your suspicions, since we are talking about a known diluter.

Take a look at your local autozone for Valvoline Modern Engine. They have it on clearance for $15 and is suppose to help with carbon build up on GDI engines.

*It appears ST (Warren) has upped their game with the latest D1/Gen2 formulation - I'm not adverse to trying their 5W30 synthetic D1 / Gen 2 offering .
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by pbm

OP this 👆...but if for some reason you're averse to using house oil, either QSUD or Magnatec will do just fine for your oci ("on paper" at least). If you wanted I higher degree of confidence in your choice, you could do a basic UOA after running one to (con)firm up your suspicions, since we are talking about a known diluter.

*That would be a great score !! I've used Valvoline Advanced synthetic with no issues and the Modern version is even higher priced , so $15 per 5 qrt jug would be great .
Originally Posted by NASTI
Take a look at your local autozone for Valvoline Modern Engine. They have it on clearance for $15 and is suppose to help with carbon build up on GDI engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back