Q's for those who have gone to grad school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Howdy
smile.gif

I am graduating this December earning my B.S. in Software Engineering. I have been blessed with a job as a Software Engineer and so embarks my career in the working force.

Aside from that, I love learning and want to get multiple degrees while I have the time and energy. I have decided I'd like to earn my M.S. in Computer Science with a concentration in Cyber Security.

For those that have gone to grad school while working:
1. how did you manage the workload (number of courses per semester)?
2. did you go through an online program or did you go to class at the campus?
3. what was the most challenging part?
4. should I "shop" around and weigh other programs, even if it is online?

My university offers the M.S. so since I am local it seems like the ideal situation.

Thanks!

1. full time work, 12 credit hours per semester or 6 credit hours summer semesters
2. 100% in class
3. scheduling work and class and family time (there is no free time)
4. consider reputation above all else

Managing workload? You just suck it up and get it done. I did mine in 1 year and it was rough. But I was a lot younger than my 45 year old azs is now. Take it from someone who’s been there. I am headed to law school as an old timer and it’s harder with a job and kids. Go get it is my advice .

Chiming in here, full-time job and going for a Masters in Analytics. I have 10 week courses and really depends on the course and how many you are taking. The first few semesters I was able to do 2 classes each. As the coursework got harder, I can only do 1 class per semester. I also balance my courseload to stay within my company's reimbursement amount too.

My program is online and all they do is video the in-person class and post it online and on an app. Same workload, pace, teacher, and degree as the in person classes. I have a train commute which makes it easier to watch in chunks. The last 2-3 weeks of class are the hardest as your have class to watch, homework and a final to get done.

My advice would be:
1. How much will work pay for your school?
2. Do you just want to collect degrees or is this for your career?
3. Check out free courses like Coursera and it's competitors and iTunes University. If you just want to learn, no need to pay and this will give you a much better idea of some of the course work without the fees, applications, etc.
4. Don't forget other non-school experiences, volunteering, friends, etc.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve

My advice would be:
1. How much will work pay for your school?
2. Do you just want to collect degrees or is this for your career?
3. Check out free courses like Coursera and it's competitors and iTunes University. If you just want to learn, no need to pay and this will give you a much better idea of some of the course work without the fees, applications, etc.
4. Don't forget other non-school experiences, volunteering, friends, etc.

Yes I also plan on being within as much as the reimbursement from the company as possible. I have graduated college without any debt and would like it stay that way.

1. between $5k to $10k with some dependencies
2. Neither? My goal is to be a versatile person, but also seeing how Cyber Security is becoming one of the biggest issues in today's world with an increasing trend, I'd like to be there for market demand in case I wanted to choose another field within the CS/SE/CE world.
3. I will check into them, thanks. Though I have android so no itunes
smile.gif

4. I'm pretty active hanging out with friends and volunteering

Thanks

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Howdy
smile.gif

...Aside from that, I love learning and want to get multiple degrees while I have the time and energy. I have decided I'd like to earn my M.S. in Computer Science with a concentration in Cyber Security...

For those that have gone to grad school while working:
1. how did you manage the workload (number of courses per semester)?

If you're single, take as many courses as your schedule will allow.

2. did you go through an online program or did you go to class at the campus?

Campus Classes

3. what was the most challenging part?

Not procrastinating about upcoming papers, quizes, etc. I would have to say that Researching and writing papers were the most challenging part.

4. should I "shop" around and weigh other programs, even if it is online?

AN M.S. in Computer Engineering for your area of study I think would be better since it is more comprehensive.

I think you are doing the right thing by continuing your education.
thumbsup2.gif
Learning is a lifelong endeavor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back