Purolator L10111 Cardboard Endcaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed my mother's oil filter today on her 98 3.8 Monte Carlo. Put on a new Purolator L10111 filter and cut the old one open and I immediately noticed it had cardboard endcaps instead of the metal ones associated with the Purolator Premimum plus filters. The filter seemed to be well made, however the cardboard endcaps might make me change by mind and use the Bosch filters from now on.

That sucks! I'm glad I'm not going to be using those filters anymore! The ones I have right now are very old stock from a hardware store near me, so I'm sure they have the metal endcaps though. It's nothing but K&N oil filters for me now.

I've been hearing alot lately about Purolater switching to cardobard end caps
confused.gif
. I switched to Bosch Premium for my Explorer because I was very disappointed in the quality of the Motorcraft(made by Purolater)that I had cut open. Another example of a company cutting costs and lowering quality in hopes that their stock price will rise
mad.gif
-Joe

Joee12, I usually run the Motorcraft FL-1A filter on my 2000 Wrangler because it is alot larger than the standard size filter and it allows me to have a 5qt capacity with my 4 banger
grin.gif
I've used this filter for many years on my boats SBC and was wondering what did you find that you didn't like about how it was made? I plan on cutting the used one off my Jeep open to check it out.

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
Joee12, I usually run the Motorcraft FL-1A filter on my 2000 Wrangler because it is alot larger than the standard size filter and it allows me to have a 5qt capacity with my 4 banger
grin.gif
I've used this filter for many years on my boats SBC and was wondering what did you find that you didn't like about how it was made? I plan on cutting the used one off my Jeep open to check it out.

Ryan, I did a little oil filter test of my own and cut open several filters. I was not happy with the Motorcraft(FL820s by the way) for the following reasons; thin shell compared to the Supertech that I cut open, non-uniform pleats in filter media, and a string tied around the filter media that had left an indention in the pleats. The filter did not look as good as the Supertech, but much better than the Fram. -Joe

Stick with the PureONE's if you want their better filters. I agree, it's too bad they're cost cutting on the low end but then Fram seems to get away with it.
rolleyes.gif

David

I was at Advanced Auto today and picked up a K&N for the Explorer. I plan on changing the oil this weekend, and won't have time to get to Autozone to grab a Bosch. I figured that I would give th K&N a shot, which is an excellent product from Champion Labs.
smile.gif

Stuart, Yes the filter did have the thin string wrapped around the filter media. It was wrapped rather tightly and left an indention in the filter media. I hope Purolator hasn't stooped to this level now
dunno.gif

Purolators & cardboard endcaps: Did the cardboard filter have the string around the middle of the filter element? If so, then it looks like Purolator has gone cheapie on their less expensive filter.

If no string, though: A guy who used to post at Edmunds said he worked for a company that made filter paper for several of the US Oil filter mfg's, and that from time to time, the various companies would make filters for each other, from just elements to whole filters. Maybe Fram made a batch of that size/application & sold to Pltr to make up a shortage? We can only hope.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
Purolators & cardboard endcaps: Did the cardboard filter have the string around the middle of the filter element? If so, then it looks like Purolator has gone cheapie on their less expensive filter.

If no string, though: A guy who used to post at Edmunds said he worked for a company that made filter paper for several of the US Oil filter mfg's, and that from time to time, the various companies would make filters for each other, from just elements to whole filters. Maybe Fram made a batch of that size/application & sold to Pltr to make up a shortage? We can only hope.

I've cut open Frams that had the string, too.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:

My cardboard purolator had a string too.

frown.gif
Sounds like Purolator's turned weasel on us. If they'll do that to their "Premium Plus", what'll be next on the Pure One?
shocked.gif
Looks like Wix or Champion for me from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back