Purolator Boss PBL20252 [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fordai
If the ADBV is up towards the engine then a cut ADBV doesn't really matter right? No oil will escape the filter UP into the engine because of gravity.

Correct. But, are you gonna pay for $12 for shoddy workmanship?

[/quote]Correct. But, are you gonna pay for $12 for shoddy workmanship?[/quote]

Let's just say I want to make sure that the $12 I already spent isn't going to destroy my Explorer.

If the ADBV is up towards the engine then a cut ADBV doesn't really matter right? No oil will escape the filter UP into the engine because of gravity.

Some engines that don't really need an ADBV have filters that don't have them in the first place, or at least that used to be more commonplace. I'm not sure if an ADBV is "necessary" ever. They're nice to have. If they want to make one that's wrecked before the customer even buys the filter, just delete the stupid thing and save the money, like they're trying to do.

I don't know if this is true in every case. ZeeOSix has discussed this topic before and he might post a response to this before long, but I believe that the base of the filter being pointed up toward the engine doesn't necessarily mean that the oil will stay in the filter in every application. ZeeOSix can clarify this for us.

On my 2.2 the filter is mounted horizontal on the block. A bad ADBV shows up on cold starts as lifter noise until the filter fills back up. Of course its important that's why the more expensive filters use silcone. The puro apologist will stop at nothing to defend the lowest line of made in USA junk filters from the company that doesn't care about your or your engine, Purolator.

First it's tears don't matter, flow doesn't matter, ADBV don't matter. Next it will be oil filters aren't necessary anyway so who cares.

2015_PSD - Thanks for the well done cut & post on this controversial oil filter.

It appears that M&H Purolator has improved the filter element substantially. However, 5750 miles is just getting this filter warmed up.

You have identified the ADBV is being cut by the rough / unfinished edges on the inlet holes. Since the ADBV is cut completely through in 3 places, I would expect the anti drain back function of the filter to be compromised.

I would be interested in running one of these on my truck if M&H Purolator fixes the ADBV issues.

Once again thanks for the objective cut & post on this filter.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Correct. But, are you gonna pay for $12 for shoddy workmanship?

Gents - In a base up or almost base up application, the ADBV should keep oil in the galleries above and below the filter. When the ADBV leaks in this configuration, oil should remain in the filter but the galleries could easily empty. This sets the stage for a dry start.

In a horizontal application, when the ADBV fails to seal, the oil can easily drain out of the galleries and the filter. This sets the stage for a longer dry start than base up configuration.

When the filter and galleries are kept full of oil, then startup lubrication is maintained and thus wear is minimized during this period.

If you notice startup rattle, then a leaky ADBV may be the cause. If you don't notice startup rattle, then your application might not need an ADBV.

You are right, I would not spend $12 for a filter that did not maintain all of it's functionality through the marketing speak recommendation which is 15,000 miles for this filter.

I would still buy my version with the other type ADBV, except for the louvers issue. The element looks nice. Too bad they messed with what was proven to work by a 90 year old respected manufacturer.
It's like some kind of urge to change things others did or something.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
This thread is hillarious. Looks like the Puro apologists are alive and kicking. Up next, Wix.

You know who really thinks this thread is hilarious? Real engineers from Purolator who get to snicker at all the speculation and 'knowledge' being thrown around in here.

Maybe...Until a piece of the valve goes missing then all bets are off.

I had a little time this morning so I tried to take a few closeups of the baseplate and one of the ADBV from the opposite side. It is not possible for FordBroncoVWJeta to have made the holes all the way through with a stick--he simply could not have reached all of the area that is cut. The cuts are too symmetrical and match the baseplate holes. The photos may not show it, but there is a burr that runs around the perimeter of each hole and it is heavier towards the outlet nozzle on each hole.

The baseplate is heavy duty as baseplates go and if MH/P can correct this one production issue, they seem to have everything else in hand.

EdgdsN.jpg

KH4Gbr.jpg

j0Kgac.jpg

7dTca7.jpg

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
2015_PSD - Thanks for the well done cut & post on this controversial oil filter.

It appears that M&H Purolator has improved the filter element substantially. However, 5750 miles is just getting this filter warmed up.

You have identified the ADBV is being cut by the rough / unfinished edges on the inlet holes. Since the ADBV is cut completely through in 3 places, I would expect the anti drain back function of the filter to be compromised.

I would be interested in running one of these on my truck if M&H Purolator fixes the ADBV issues.

Once again thanks for the objective cut & post on this filter.
No worries; quite welcome. I would agree the ABDV **seems** to be compromised since it is cut clean through. Hopefully, MH/P will sort it out.

I doubt Purolator will even try to fix that. Why should they, can't see from the outside and most people will never know.

Great great job there PSD
smile.gif

I agree. I hope they will get this figured out. I do wonder though... would that small of a cut really have the ability to leak much oil out? I mean if we measured it from side to side without squeezing it.. what would that measurement be? 3 mm?? 5mm?? Plus while installed without having squeezing pressure applied would it not be smaller or so miniscule that it effectively caused no leak?

I don't know. One member here stated he had a Fram do the same thing. Now I am well aware that the overwhelming majority of Fram filters have looked very good lately. Even the 7317 Fram Extra guards have been very good. But, it can or could happen with others too.

Another question in my mind.. now I'm not saying this was the case here... could this happen from filter being screwed on too tight?? I have done a magnificent job if doing this myself a time it two. Now it is highly unlikely that this has anything to do with it but I am just wondering.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Another question in my mind.. now I'm not saying this was the case here... could this happen from filter being screwed on too tight?? I have done a magnificent job if doing this myself a time it two. Now it is highly unlikely that this has anything to do with it but I am just wondering.
The overall construction of the filter is very good and the baseplate is SOLID. I do not think you could tighten it on the vehicle enough to damage the ADBV.

It may be the opening and closing of the ADBV that causes it to rub on the baseplate and over time it cuts through. Alternately, this could happen at assembly when the baseplate is attached to the filter housing. Difficult to say either way.

The inlet seal is still ok with the cuts, don't know about the leak down probably ok too as the cuts are closed. Some filters without ADBV;s just have like an oring seal at the base. The "engineers" who changed the design need to get away from their electronic toys and get out on the shop floor where the work is done. Anyone here could resolve the problem in 30 minutes by looking what is going on during assembly. Anyway it is a waste of time talking about filters on the don't buy list.

Yeah that makes PSD 2015.. I need to get into my Purolator Boss and red too. Plus a Fram Ultra, TG, Extra Guard and a Wix as well. 6 in total to check out
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back