purchasing used $100 mower on CL. help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy a used $100ish mower on my local CL. What should I look for and try to avoid? My only requirements are that it must mulch.

Seeing a lot of recent (last 5 years) Craftsman with Briggs engine options for around that price like this: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/grd/d/lawn-mower-21inch-725hp/6524453826.html

I have heard some bad things (mostly amazon reviews) about recent Toro Recycler models, so I guess i'll try and avoid those?

I would buy from a guy that just bought a new one or is going to buy a new one and has took very good care of it. Preferably a maintenance nut that has a small yard lol.

I would try to find a honda mower for that price first...

Yes, buy a Honda-powered mower if you want one that starts reliably. My Craftsman, with a GCV-160 Honda engine, is 17yrs. old, and starts on the first tug every time. Life is too short to deal with a cranky B&S engine.

B&S Toro would be your best bet. I wouldn't get the Hondas, I've rebuilt quite a few and have had better luck with B&S than the more complicated honda design (both in engine and in transmission).

Depends on whether you are going to use it for your house so may be 1x a week or for professional lawn mowing business like 10x a day?

For home use, just find a suitable used mower under $100.
For pro use, you will need to find something more resilient.

Last edited:
I have a Toro Super Recycler.
I like it a lot but last year it was taking 10 pulls to get it started (B&S Engine).
This Spring I will have to look into that issue.

Another must for a walk-behind mower:
Toro has the Personal Pace models.
The mower keeps up with your walking speed.

This avoids having the constant turning drive-wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: khittner
Life is too short to deal with a cranky B&S engine.

Psh. B&S is just like any other small OPE engine if you take care of it. My mom and I have identical Troy-Bilt lawnmowers from Lowes. Mine ALWAYS starts first pull (even when my 9 year old does it), and hers used to be a PITA even taking me three pulls sometimes. I ran a half can of Gumout MSTU thru hers, and then put a new spark plug in it... starts first pull now every time as well.

She must not get good gas in her area- she lives in one of the two counties in Indiana with emissions testing, must be something different with their gas there. I'd like a Honda, but no way am I paying Honda money for a mower when my Troy-Bilt just needs a new blade every three-four years.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
I have a Toro Super Recycler.
I like it a lot but last year it was taking 10 pulls to get it started (B&S Engine).
This Spring I will have to look into that issue.

Another must for a walk-behind mower:
Toro has the Personal Pace models.
The mower keeps up with your walking speed.

This avoids having the constant turning drive-wheels.

Have you tried any fuel treatment?
Seafoam, gumout, etc?
Air filter condition?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Psh. B&S is just like any other small OPE engine if you take care of it.

Agreed - Briggs has kept up close enough.
Hondas have their problems, too!

I work on mowers out of my home, repair and sell used mowers. I try to cut with every mower I sell. I have favorites. A pos Weedeater, Husqavarna with a Honda engine, a Toro with a to the touch self propelled feature on the handlebar, Honda however everyone I have can't be pulled backwards!

Picked up a 2008 Honda 160cc 21" mower. Took it home and mowed the backyard including a ton of leaves. Worked amazingly well and didn't skip a beat. Starts on the first pull. I'll change the oil, air filter, and spark plug after I now the front yard this weekend. So far it's a great mower.

I got a broken Honda and Toro for $20 both. Sold the Toro for $20. Got the Honda running. Horribly clogged jet, new pull rope, air filter. Cleaned and lubed some stuff and has been good for about 3 yrs. so far.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/snw/d/3-working-lawn-mowers-and/6545838666.html

This craftsman in this ad looks like a solid mulcher for $85. opinions?

I would go for a bit more power. From experience, that Toro in the add is a piece of junk. They are poor mulchers. Go for the Super recycler which is excellent. Every spring I always find decent mowers in the trash which by people who cannot get them started in the spring. Most of them need minor repairs to get them going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back