Pump 12 gauge opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 gauge for squirrel? No. Buy a used single shot .410 for $40 from your local pawn shop.

As for pumps, dont forget to look at the Benelli Nova/Super Nova guns. One of the better pump guns on the market, honestly. Folks just recommend the 500 and 870 because they are so popular, and that's what they know. If these same people ever had time behind a Nova or Super Nova, they would have a different recommendation.

I have narrowed it down to a Mossberg 500 or a Maverick 88. My local pawnshop has about 50 mossberg 500s and the one that is in the best shape is about $150. I have a large property around 500 acres. So mostly will be a carry gun for varmints as i have started walking more with my Blue Heeler. We have coyotes and bear also. I like the mossberg 500 as a hunting gun but i will probably not use it for that since i am fond of my beretta 390.

The maverick 88 is winning right now due to its ability do do what i want out of it, no fancy finish or wood..will shoot anything you put in it as well. I will probably load it with birdshot, buckshot and slugs for defense on my walks not to hunt. Also holding 7 shells i think it would be an excellent home defense shotgun.

You might want to look at the Mossberg 500 "Combo Gun". The big box stores carry these very reasonably priced. The beauty in them is you get 2 barrels with the gun. One is a 18" cylinder bore for self defense. The other is a 28" vented rib barrel with a Modified Fixed choke that is great if you choose to hunt upland game with it. The best of both worlds without parting with a lot of coin.

Originally Posted By: billt460
You might want to look at the Mossberg 500 "Combo Gun". The big box stores carry these very reasonably priced.

This is what I did, but only because I wish to own just one shotgun, and I'd like to use it for both home defense and skeet/trap. I bought a 500 (in 20 ga) combo from Richard's. They pretty much always have them on sale for $349. Mine came with a 26" ported vent rib barrel with a threaded choke end and three screw-in chokes, plus a 24" rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. I didn't care for the rifled barrel, but that's what this one came with. I liked the vent rib barrel for skeet and trap. I traded the rifled barrel on Armslist for a brand new 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. I do think the 12 ga models do come as billt460 indicates: with a longer field barrel and a short smooth barrel.

My snap-on turkey sights just came in the mail today from Mossberg for my vent rib barrel. I don't hunt, but these fiber optic sights will be good for shooting skeet and for longer shots with slugs (for recreation...hitting gongs). Something fun to play with.

If you have another shotgun for that stuff, the Maverick is hard to beat. I prefer the 500 series due to the location of the safety lever. Otherwise...both are excellent values for the weaponry you get in return.

Seeing the Ithica 37 in this thread got me a bit nostalgic. Had one as a kid with a shortened stock. In junior high school wood shop class, I made a wood extender for it (sloppily, however). Sold it 20+ years ago to buy my first 1911. Would be awesome to come across that 37 again one day. If anyone's seen it........

Kris- I would buy the Mossberg 500 that is in good shape for $150. The Mossberg 500 is a solid, reliable shotgun that will serve you well. There are a ton of aftermarket barrels out there that will let you configure the gun for almost anything you can think of. For predator/pest control or property defense, a basic 18 to 22" Barrel with or without chokes will work great. Get the short 18" cylinder bore barrel if you plan on mostly using it for defense. You should also be able to find a vented, top rib 22" barrel with screw in chokes that will work a little better for hunting and general purpose.

Don't bother with the Maverick 88. All that gun is, is a cheapened up, lower quality Mossberg 500. It isn't worth the slight cost savings, just buy the original Mossberg 500.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Model 37 sub gauge for sure....

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Seeing the Ithaca 37 in this thread got me a bit nostalgic. Had one as a kid with a shortened stock. In junior high school wood shop class, I made a wood extender for it (sloppily, however). Sold it 20+ years ago to buy my first 1911. Would be awesome to come across that 37 again one day. If anyone's seen it........

I purchased a new Ithaca Model 37 back in the early 70's. It's a very smooth operating, well made pump shotgun made entirely from blued steel and Walnut..... No plastic or Aluminum. One of the issues it has always had however, is a small, (read too small), of a magazine tube. There is very little clearance between the inside of the magazine tube, and the rim of the shell. Consequently, if you're a reloader who full length resizes your hulls, they will hang up inside the magazine tube. Forcing you to disassemble the gun to clear the problem. Needless to say, this gets real old, real fast. It's a well known problem that has existed for years with this gun.

Some reloading presses will have a greater effect on this condition than others. For example, older MEC reloaders that resize the brass part of the hull with a resizer ring type of die make this condition worse. While the newer MEC reloaders that resize with a finger collet type of system, (MEC Grabber and 9000 Models), seem to not have such an adverse effect on them. But they still will cause hang ups. And if you don't resize at all, (like on a MEC 650), sometimes just the previous firing of the hull will expand the rim enough to cause problems.

The only cure for this is to find a gunsmith who is familiar with the problem, and have him lap out the magazine tube .005 to .007 thousandths oversize. That will cure it for 90%+ of the reloaded shells you will encounter. I didn't do that. I have several other shotguns, so I just use factory ammunition in my Model 37. Even then I have to keep the magazine tube clean and lightly oiled to prevent any problems.

The only other option you have with shooting reloaded ammunition reliably in the Ithaca Model 37, is to limit it to 2 shots. One in the chamber, and one in the magazine. And even then you have to be very careful when inserting the shell into the magazine. When you do, you can only push it forward very slowly until you just see the rim of the shell clear the catch. And before you do that, be sure to inspect the rim of every reloaded shell for any dings or burrs. If it has any it will most certainly hang up.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
12 gauge for squirrel? No. Buy a used single shot .410 for $40 from your local pawn shop.

i like singles. $40 for a decent used single 410 is a truly incredible buy these days. more like $120 and up if/if can be found at all. i did score a clean used 20ga h&r single for $80 just before closing at a gun show. it probably stood guard in a closet for ten years, shot just a couple of times. with the demise of h&r the single shotgun market is drying up.

im not a hunter or clay sports shooter but felt the need for a pump shotgun. i prefer 20ga for softer recoil in my singles so i ended up with a new 20ga pardner pump for $150 on sale.

Have several 12's but love my little.410 when you don't want to tear up everything in sight. Last week I popped a 4-1/2' buzz tail that left from by my door towards next door house/boat. Would not have taken the shot with a modified 12 ...

Mossberg 500/590. Consider the low recoil rounds if necessary. Still very lethal with a little faster follow up shot. Especially with an 18 inch barrel.

I owned a 500 Defender and the 590A1. I loved both in slightly different ways.

500: Inexpensive, light and easy to swing. What I didnt like was the plastic trigger mech, plastic safety and the way the barrel attached to the mag tube. It did not allow the follower and spring to come out and it worked itself loose while shooting. But it was fun and I put piles upon piles of rounds through it, from birdshot to slugs. Only once did I have a hard extraction that needed some force to open the action. As I complained about the plastic trigger mech, it never broke or gave me the impression it was going to break.

590A1: What I didnt like was the weight and length of pull. I have long arms but I could have used a bantam butt stock. The weight seemed to amplify its length. I cant even be mad at the weight, I knew what I was getting into. The metal trigger mech, safety, full through mag tube, bayo mount, ghost rings etc. This thing was fun and I regret selling it (different story) and I will one day own one again.

Mossberg, IMO has the best ergonomics of any pump. your trigger finger never comes off to hit the safety or slide release. The dual extractors are there if needed, the elevator is up and clear of the loading port when the bolt is in battery, the ghost rings are second to none and the mag tube is threaded into the receiver.

I have shot all sorts of 870's and yes they are nice, they too have their weaknesses. The cheaper ones have plastic trigger mechs, the mag tube is soldered in, single extractor, pain in the [censored] elevator, sorry [censored] excuse for a safety and slide release location.

But, the 870's have never gone click when they were were supposed to go bang. Mind you neither did my Mossy's.

If I was to get an 870, it would be one of the older police models, parkerized finish if possible and the wood stock. Just plain jane old looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
870 has more add on goodies out of Brownells and Midway, including the bantam stock from Scattergun Technologies. The 590A1 is excellent if you have arms like a gorilla.

IF ONLY - could blend the best attributes of both without getting into a patent fight.

Buy a Mossberg 500.Get the 2 barrel set. The safety and slide release are in the perfect spot for your thumb to find in the dark. The 500 is much quicker to reload or top off compared to the 870. Buy a 500 in 12 or 20 and it will do the job without question. If you want to spend a bit more then buy a Browning BPS. Regardless of what you buy, practice practice practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back