Pulling the plug on Rotella T6 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
engine is very sluggish

Can we see your accel data? Maybe 20 to 70 mph times before and after. Average 3 runs and be sure ambient wind conditions similar.

I am keeping the Rotella 5w-30 as my fill in the G37 for the foreseeable future. It's not going to be "sluggish" compared to the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, and I'd never notice anyhow without proper testing. I can hardly use all my horsepower at the best of times. With respect to fuel economy, I've noted a few times here, and shown the math, that really telling the difference in fuel economy between oil grades is outside the realm of what's going to be demonstrable, outside of a lab.

Of course, one has to be happy with one's oil choice, and I'm happy with mine. It sounds as smooth as anything I've used in the past, it isn't being consumed, nor is it leaking out. It exceeds all the specifications called for, which is a 5w-30 in SM or newer (ILSAC optional). I couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted By: Garak
With respect to fuel economy, I've noted a few times here, and shown the math, that really telling the difference in fuel economy between oil grades is outside the realm of what's going to be demonstrable, outside of a lab.

+1

Last edited:
When I was showing my numbers, I was getting better fuel economy with Delvac 1 5w-40 than PYB 5w-30. The poor PYB numbers corresponded with spring arriving in our lovely part of the world and my right foot likely getting significantly heavier.
wink.gif
All the summer gas and ILSAC grades in the world don't help that.

I am in no way shape or form saying that a 5W30 would not apply to the Acura in signature. What I was referring to was -- that specific Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle Heavy Duty 5W30 was not the correct viscosity for my engine. I am positive a thinner 5W30 would be suffice and then some.

Dale

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
engine is very sluggish

Can we see your accel data? Maybe 20 to 70 mph times before and after. Average 3 runs and be sure ambient wind conditions similar.

The OP doesnt care what you think. Of COURSE it's sluggish.

We don't drive WOT all the time. He's talking about NORMAL driving.

I used to race to win, we used the THINNEST oil where the motor doesnt clatter and you don't loose compression and you have decent gauge oil pressure. Youll notice the OTHER issue before you see a big gauge drop. HTHS!

NOT rocket science. Basic Oil 101

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back