Proper way to change PS fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best way to change P/S fluid? How does one go about getting it out (which line should I unscrew to drain it?). Is turning on the engine and turning the steering wheel to get most of it out advisable?

My application: '94 Dodge Ram 1500 318ci, 2WD.

Thanks a bunch.

-Paul

Here's my experience.
smile.gif

Some people remove the return line and add fluid in the reservoir to make sure no air gets into the system. Not sure what line to remove, but I am currently using a low tech method. For my Saturn, a Saturn tech said to just suck up the fluid in the reservoir with a turkey baster. Then add more fluid. Basically, that is what the machine does at the dealership. I was told I could do this with the car running. But, I have just removed what I could each day after work, and then topped it off. The new fluid runs through the pump, and after removing and adding about 3 quarts of new fluid it is working and looking pretty good.

The return line is easily accessible on all my cars so that's what I use. I unhook it, plug the resevoir nipple, add an extension hose to the return line and place the other end in a 1 gallon drain bottle.

Then I jack it up so the wheels are off the ground, start it and turn the wheels several time lock to lock and then pour a quart of fresh oil in to flush it out. Turn the wheels a few times again, hook everything back up and refill the system.

Yes, you'll get air in the system and the pump will whine for a while but it works itself out after a little driving.

If the retrun line is inaccessible or you're really paranoid about running the pump "dry" then the turkey baster method is the next best thing.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:

Yes, you'll get air in the system and the pump will whine for a while but it works itself out after a little driving.

If the retrun line is inaccessible or you're really paranoid about running the pump "dry" then the turkey baster method is the next best thing.

there is a third way that I prefer, I still have not heard if this works on rack and pinion vehicles

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001140#000011

I had to replace the low pressure power steering hoses on the '88 Mustang 5.0 -- I replaced them on two separate occasions, refilling the reservior (which completly drained) each time, and that was enough for the fluid to stay clean looking.

Oh, I used Mercon. Ford calls for Type F but Mercon has unofficially been used in Ford power steering units for many years prior to when they changed the recommended fluid.

quote:

Originally posted by RavenTai:

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:

there is a third way that I prefer, I still have not heard if this works on rack and pinion vehicles

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001140#000011

I'll give that a try next time, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back