Proper oil filter storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by blupupher
And are paying for their storage as well...

Just like you do as yours came from a store at one point too. Oil filters aren't really something one needs in an emergency or all of a sudden so I have no need to hoard (or what's the word used here, "stash" ?) them.

If you're really paranoid about rust, store the filters along with packs of desiccant, or in bags of uncooked rice.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Just like you do as yours came from a store at one point too. Oil filters aren't really something one needs in an emergency or all of a sudden so I have no need to hoard (or what's the word used here, "stash" ?) them.

Mine are bought on sale/clearance, which you can't count on finding when it is time for a change.

I have spent $57 on 20 filters. 4 of them (OEM for my new Hyundai) are over half of that cost. Those were $7.50 each, normal price is $12.
The remainder of my 16 filters cost me about $1.73 each. All of them are mid to upper tier filters (Mobil 1, Fram TG, Bosch D+, Wix) that retail for $6-11 each.

I am OK with storing ~$180 worth of filters that cost me $57.
If you want to pay full price, that's fine.

And no, $120 is not going to kill me in the long run (and same for what I save by hoarding oil), but as I have said before, this is a hobby, hobbies cost money.
Some people can't understand the money spent on someone elses hobbies. And they don't have too, it is not their money.
I like not paying full price for anything. If I end up with "extra" that I will eventually use, then why not?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Nothing wrong with finding a good deal and buying a stash of things you use regularly, and wanting to properly preserve those things in good condition until they are used. I suppose I could book my hotel rooms at the last minute and pay $250 per night, but I can also buy in advance and pay just over half the price. It only becomes a problem if I am tripping over oil filters and hotel rooms with every step, because I compulsively buy as many as possible, then it becomes a psychological disorder known as hoarding.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This is where the cellophane sealed Japanese brand filters excel. I appreciate that seal and I haven't seen one yet with rust on the inside.

That's not hermetically sealed. Moisture could still enter via osmosis by way of condensation. Then the plastic wrap traps the moisture to form rust.

Originally Posted by DGXR

Nothing wrong with finding a good deal and buying a stash of things

It only becomes a problem if I am tripping over oil filters and hotel rooms with every step, because I compulsively buy as many as possible, then it becomes a psychological disorder known as hoarding.

I just realized that with the 6 cases of oil filters, and 12 6-gallon-bag-in-box oil I bought from Rock Auto, with 5% off, will take me the balance of my lifetime to consume. I may need to buy 3 more cars just to use them up. Maybe I'll rent another storage locker. They may be able to give me 1 next to the other 2, which are full of ramen on sale from Costco.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Originally Posted by PimTac
This is where the cellophane sealed Japanese brand filters excel. I appreciate that seal and I haven't seen one yet with rust on the inside.

That's not hermetically sealed. Moisture could still enter via osmosis by way of condensation. Then the plastic wrap traps the moisture to form rust.

â™»ï¸

I am OK with storing ~$180 worth of filters that cost me $57.
If you want to pay full price, that's fine.

SAame here.... but most of mine were even less than that.

I've bought a LOT of oil filters from RockAuto for near $1.

I have never been "burned" (getting a serviceable filter in a very shelf-worn box is not "getting burned' - the filter matters more than the box does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back