Problem starting sometimes. Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having problems from time to time starting my TACO-ma.
Hapened last year and it was the Fuel pump.
BUT
I have heard the pump priming after it refused to stay Caught.
It cranks easy. It starts to catch. and just dies,
Seems like it wants to rund rough when I put the peddle in a bit, but that's how it will start when it acts up.
Smell gasoline on right side between cab and bed. Charcoal canister looks dry and no smell there, and is only once and awhile.
All lines look secure, filter check and about time for the 30K fuel filter replacement.
All Cap and plugs rotor is about 20K, gotta check
377.4K now 399.2K, yeah.
Cap for gas is about 200K, was planning on replace it at 400K next week but guess I'll rule that out this weekend along with the fuel filter about 1K early.
Engine sounds strong... only does this when it want to.
Battery is a tad over a year, voltmeter shows good volts and charging, alt fairly new too

????

Does the Taco have a seperate cold start injector? If it does check to make sure it is not leaking. Obviously dumping raw liquid gas into the intake would bog down the engine. THis would also cause the pump to lose prime. A bad injector could do this as well!

Has it been raining or humid where you live? It could be a combination of things, or just one that is causing your problem. Humidity tends to make some problems show up.

If your coil is getting weak, it'll act like this especially in humid weather. If you're losing compression in your cylinders (no surprise with that many miles), humid weather can cause it to do this.

And the obvious things you've already looked at. Plug wires, cap, plugs, and fuel pump. Another possiblity is bad gas.

quote:

Originally posted by slalom44:
Has it been raining or humid where you live? It could be a combination of things, or just one that is causing your problem. Humidity tends to make some problems show up.

If your coil is getting weak, it'll act like this especially in humid weather. If you're losing compression in your cylinders (no surprise with that many miles), humid weather can cause it to do this.
Coil is Original with 399,200+ miles.

Yes, the firts time it did it was on first start in the morning with FROST all over the truck.

Second time, it did it about 10 Minutes after start, Cold day.

Third time did it about 2 Hours, stop and start about 8 times on a FREEZING day in the 30's.

Other time Today, after about 12 Miles and three stops, but was not extra cold or wet today, the other days was damp, yes.

Mechanic said to wait til the check engine light goes. Said could be anything from Dist to coil to Cap to fuel filter that has about 28K being clogged to maybe even a pump... I only have one car and can't afford to have it go out or replace parts.

Those I talked to at the dealer and parts places and one internet parts supplier said they have rarely heard a coil going out on a Tacoma...

I don't suppose theres a test I can do to tell?

As far as the cold start JOHN, I donno. I doubt it, it seems that I ran into this last year when I had similar problems and it was a Fuel Pump...
I may have been given an aftermarket pump, I think I may have been ripped off from the mechanic at the time and not got OEM parts, if so, maybe its the pump too.

A few months ago this did it to me once and the month before once, since I was having so many problems with the cat and O2, I just figured or hoped they were related.
-
And the obvious things you've already looked at. Plug wires, cap, plugs, and fuel pump. Another possiblity is bad gas.

Changed stations from Shell to Mobil with the cat issue.
My MPG has been up to par, and the response has been great, it feels nice, I doubt theres an issue but you never know.

[ January 15, 2004, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Robbie Alexander ]

Added info. I notice when I trun the wheel that sometimes the idle is rough, more often when I turn it fast as in parking on the street, making fast U-turns with an hard right etc.
Now, I know I have had the wheel almost always straight when I shut off the engine unless I'm on a hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back