primer prior to paint ... Light or dark?

Painting my camper shell on my truck,it's bright red,should I use dark or light colored primer?

Do you prefer dark or light primer to show when the paint gets chipped?

Light primer will make the red pop more.

Are you painting to match some existing paint, or is it going to be 100% new paint?

If 100% new, I’d use light. BUT: you can test this. There are even test strips printed for this. 1/2 light, 1/2 dark. You spray over it and then compare to the existing paint to help guide you to the right primer.

Take a sheet and primer it 1/2 and 1/2. Paint over and pick what you like, or hold it against existing paint and see which matches better.

I have(ONLY) heard that...
You want to use the color primer that shows you how good of paint coverage you're getting and the coats that you apply.

Does the color of your primer contribute to or alter how the paint color actually comes out?

I have(ONLY) heard that...
You want to use the color primer that shows you how good of paint coverage you're getting and the coats that you apply.

Does the color of your primer contribute to or alter how the paint color actually comes out?
You try to use primer the same color are was used originally, auto paint and supply shops have a chart that tells you what shade 1 light - 7 dark to use. If this is another color generally on reds and yellow and polar white white primer with make it pop, shades of grey will tone it down. Many cars are just sprayed right over the e-coat, it is chemically etched, dried and top coated, for these you use black primer.

On some older Japanese cars they actually painted every car a shade of light blue then painted the outside panels only a different color.
These can be a bit of problems to match requiring adding some color to the primer. In any case when matching paint use spray out cards.

These are some cards, not a bad price if you are only doing one or two jobs. Get the 10 pack of 2 colors ea.

Back