Prime series Sam’s club atf

I do not know what type of dexron iii sam club prime series is? Is it dexron iii type h, or g? I have attached the bottom of the bottle. Please let me know. Thank you.

Attachments

• 3313E369-554B-49EF-A0AD-A5BB9C517554.jpeg
    3313E369-554B-49EF-A0AD-A5BB9C517554.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 58
Since it is no longer a current spec it just says works in applications requiring dexron II, dexron III, and mercon.

except certain applications listed in the specs section (which is blank on the webpage ugh!)

What application are you considering this for? That knowledge is infinitely more needed than the picture of the generic blow molded bottom of the bottle.

Since it is no longer a current spec it just says works in applications requiring dexron II, dexron III, and mercon.

except certain applications listed in the specs section (which is blank on the webpage ugh!)

What application are you considering this for? That knowledge is infinitely more needed than the picture of the generic blow molded bottom of the bottle.
It is for 05 malibu and the manual specify dexron iii type h. I notice on the bottom of the bottle it says A0C. When i went to look at valvoline maxlife dexron vi, it says A-01. Valvoline regular dex/merc says A-14. So, i don’t know if there is a correlation between those A type on the bottle that will specify what type of dexron iii fluid it is.

Last edited:
That should be ok.. but dexron III is no longer licensed.
and that is lowest bidder brand type ATF.

I would be more confident if it was at least a regular brand.. any brand such as wolfs head to valvoline.

I understand it is not license. Just curious what type of dexron iii it is. Usually they have to specify what type of dexron iii it is. Like at Oreilly auto parts is selling dexron iii type h which they call premium atf. And it says almost the same thing as the prime series except where oreilly mentions it fits allison c4 and tes certain transmission.

Thank you guys. Is Amalie company make dexron iii type h? When i look up amalie dexron iii, every bottle says it is h/m dexron iii. No one of them say g, f, etc.. Can i presume that it came from that stock just with lower additive than the real h/m? In a way, prime series buys the dexron iii h/m from amalie. Slap on their sticker. And let Sam club sells it. Is my logic sound?

Last edited:
What does the actual container say on it??

Every Dex Merc III I have gotten states what it is. And typically it is Dexron III type H.

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_010738886.jpg
    IMG_20210912_010738886.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 38
Here is the back of the botte

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 56
All right good deal...

I have to say that I had a Coastal Dex Merc container and it was like the one you have. No mention of Dexron III H.

However... Being it says for 2005 and earlier GM vehicles... That means in all high, high likelihood it is Dexron III H fluid. That was the last of the Dexron III fluid that came out. And if I am remembering right that type H fluid was maybe from 2003-2005.

Since the bottle says for GM vehicles upto the 2005 model year, I'm pretty sure that implies that it's meant for applications calling for Dexron III-H, Dexron III-H would've been the standard fluid used for the 2004 and 2005 model years before GM started factory filling all of their transmissions with DEX VI, correct?
If you're that concerned whether it's correct, you can always buy AC Delco Type III-H fluid. Although I wouldn't be that concerned, just dump whatever dex-merc in there, if you're actually bothering to maintenance the thing it's probably better with any type of new fluid than old fluid.

Yeah that's what I'm think too blu95...

If it says 2005 and older GM vehicles then it should be type H fluid.

i agree with you. New fluid is better than old fluid. I just find it interesting because dexron vi was licensed in 2006. And the bottle stated that you can use this in 2005 model car. Not later. What i found out is that those same tyoe of transmission on 05 still produced until 2010 of the malibu. So, my assumption is you can use this fluid until 2010. And dexron vi is backward compatible with dexron iii h even if they prefillled it with dexron vi. The bottle says do not use it on vehicle that specify it has dexron vi. I find that contradictory.

Yeah that's true ^^^^^^^^^^^

Definitely a bit odd.

Kind of like my VQ motor in my car is specd 5w30 API Sm. And yet the next generation VQs were specd 0w20....

Same exact motor.

I have used the Coastal Dex Merc in my lady's 98 Camry for ATF. It's been great this past year. Did that last summer.

It's more of a blanket statement, they don't want you putting Dex III in any of the 6 speed transmissions, and to my understanding at some point after the Dex VI change over they switched the type of clutches they were using in the 4 speeds so it's not necessarily advisable to run DEX3 in the later 4 speeds.

Back